Topic

Alcove (Film) – 4K

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Alcove (Film) – 4K

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Companion forum thread to: Alcove (Film) – 4K

Alcove is a story about a backpacking trip that Chris Smead and Ryan Jordan took during the Spring of 2017. It explores Chris’s perspective on doing something different than what he’s used to – hiking in remote canyons on the Colorado Plateau.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Inspiring, I love seeing adventures brought to life. This is one part of the state that I have not seen and CO is my home state. Thank you and curse you for making me miss the wide open out doors. It is a true measure of skill when you can bring out the emotions in others with your words, images, and passion. I hope the two of you can do more of these and bring them to the world.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

More of this please. MUCH more content like this. Thank you!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Really nice video, fellas.

Chris, I’ve admired your cinematography and your creative editing in your Sierra videos but I really enjoy the more restrained style in this film. I think it honors the landscape and the journey. Definitely my favorite video of yours. Your music is great as always.

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

Epic!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Guys!

Michael Boisvert
    BPL Member

@mikeboisvert57gmail-com

Chris,  you have really progressed as a film maker!   I really enjoyed this video.

I too, want to see more!

Mike Boisvert

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Best yet.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys!

This was my first project with my new camera, and the style was out of my comfort zone so I was worried about how it would be received.  Glad to see you’re enjoying it!  :)

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Loved it Chris and Ryan. Thanks. I am also impressed Chris that you composed the soundtrack. Good luck to you as you pursue such projects.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A well conceived route, well hiked, and a story very well told.  You really captured the feel of the trip as it unfolded.  Very well done!

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

Really enjoyed it, cheers!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Very nice!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I need to get less work, and more hiking in.

The colours and terrain remind me of various places in arid Australia. Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, Finke Gorge, northern Flinders Ranges come to mind. Its time I visit some of these again.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Nice!

I was there about two weeks before you. Both access roads to the trailheads were closed (happens every March apparently) so I had to come in from the Pollock Bench TH. Ended up walking some of the roads you drove in on I suspect. My footprints and some MTB tracks were the only ones there.

The Black Ridge Canyon Wilderness is a magical place that I’ve been to a handful of times now.   A little bit of Utah without the drive…

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Paul:  Wow!  Amazing huh?   What route did you take?    It seemed almost impossible to hike from the mouth of Knowles canyon to Mee canyon.   The bushwacking was pretty intense, but totally worth it.

In 4 days we saw zero backpackers.  We only saw a few rafters on the Colorado river, so it’s amazing to hear from someone else who’s been there.   Did you get to see the Mee canyon alcove?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks for noticing the soundtrack Rodney!   A fair amount of effort goes into the music for these projects so it’s nice to see someone noticing.  :)   For this project I went for a style that was more minimalistic.  (Ryan’s a minimalist so it seemed appropriate) I kept wanting to add more instruments and had to stop myself.

I tracked it all in my spare bedroom.  Durand from “Mile, mile and a half” recommended this guy named Kent from Blue ribbon studios for mastering, and I think that made a big difference.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Nice.  Always nice to finish a day with a good thrash.  I did a loop that included Jones several years back and ended up saying screw it and crossed the river (pre-runoff) because travel was nearly impossible between Jones and Knowles.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I LOVE this. Thank you!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bravo!

Really fine piece of documentation and story telling.  For having never visited the desert, you captured the essence of the landscape and showcased the beauty of the harsh environment well. Dream like.

Thanks, Chris and Ryan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome back, Eugene!  I, for one, have missed your presence.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As have I. Good to see you.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Another great documentary, Chris.

My brother creates instrumental/environmental music, so I appreciate the work that you put into not only filming,editing, and post; but the music side as well.

I look forward to seeing a lot more great work from you in the future!

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Great work Chris. As soon as I saw the thumbnail for your video I immediately thought “Mee”. A couple years back we dropped into Mee Canyon, made the hike out to the mouth, then packrafted down to Knowles. Last year I tried driving to the Knowles Canyon TH after a sneaky spring storm. Almost got my little hatchback stuck in the middle of that road – ended up having to turn around and had to put the pedal to the floor for what felt like miles before getting back to pavement.

Such a neat area, and a special thanks to you and Jordan for talking about the conservation and designation of this particular piece of land we get to enjoy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools