Topic

A Different Type of Shelter Skill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Blog Posts A Different Type of Shelter Skill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: A Different Type of Shelter Skill

As much as I love tents and tarps (and tolerate bivy sacks) for shelter on my backcountry trips, once winter rolls around my favorite shelters are USF

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’d love to see how your gear list for a winter cabin trip differs from a regular winter trip, especially for cabins that might be more remote and require a long trek to get to. Obviously, I never brought my winter tent, but on some cabin trips, when I was leaving in the midst of a winter storm warning, I’d still have to bring some type of shelter for emergencies – usually a bivy sack and a Snowclaw shovel. And I’d often forgo the winter stove (Reactor) and bring something for emergencies (like a Pocket Rocket). I wouldn’t necessarily need a full-on winter parka for nights out in the cold, but I debated that choice a lot, and often brought my winter parka anyways.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Most of the cabins I go to don’t have very long treks in, but if going solo I will usually carry a bivy and a “backup” canister stove for emergencies. I also don’t pack as many insulating layers given that I’ll be in a cabin (although I sometimes do bring warmer layers to better accommodate stargazing outside — one of the benefits of it being dark at 5:30).

That said, any weight I “save” is almost always gained back — and then some — by bringing heavy, tasty foods and beverages (wine. beer) that rarely make it on backpacking trips.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!