Topic

General stake query

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Locale: Cardiff

I have a new to me HMG Echo 2 with bug net – I usually camp out on grass, moorland, turf, or in woodland. Very occasionally sandy scrubby beaches in the dunes with marram grass. I am looking for light appropriate pegs… And i'd be grateful for suggestions… Type and manufacturers and weights etc, please

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

That's perfect – took me a moment to realise it was a link as I'm on an iPad at it just looked like a bunch of words! Sensible words, but just words…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I used to use titanium shepherd hook stakes for their light weight. I've since switched to Big Sky's Ultra-C tent stakes. The latter have higher holding power, can take more pounding before they bend, cost less — and all this without weight penalty.

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

I use a combination of Ruta Locura 9 inch carbon fiber stakes (7.5 grams) and long titanium shepard hooks from Lawson Equipment (7.25 grams).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Opinions differ. Hawthorn, oak, hemlock, ash have all been recommended.
    One version has it that the stake will be consumed; others say not.

Oh, sorry – that's for vampires.

Cheers

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Elder is good against certain witches..l

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Which witches?

(Sorry, I couldn't help it!)

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Magpie Hedge witches – I know, I did a course!

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Like Nathan, I use a mix of Ruta Locura 9" carbon stakes and Ti Shepard stakes, a beefy 6.5" version.Specifically, I take 4 of the 9" carbon stakes for corners, and rest are the Ti Shepard stakes.

Russell Hann
    BPL Member

@thegoobertross

Locale: Yorkshire Dales & Lake District

Hey Lizz,

I'm up in the dales and lakes and i use a combination of Alpkit Y-stakes and Ti pins. The Y stakes in particular are cracking and have held securely in 50+mph winds using my MLD Solomid XL. I believe they do an XL version of the Y stakes and as per the article on stakes length is all important, so these might also be good in the sand. failing that some snow stakes will do the trick.

With regard to weights: Ti pins are 6.5 and y stakes are 14. Some might say this is heavy, but i prefer to carry a few extra grams to know my tent is bomber in the wind on an exposed moor. They are also really reasonably priced- £6.50 for 10 of the Y stakes and £10 for the ti pins- i don't reckon you can find cheaper for the quality. I have no connection to alpkit- i just like their stakes (and ti pots…)

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Is it just me? No one has mentioned that if you really tend to camp in "grass, moorland, turf, or in woodland" you've sort of hit the tent stake lottery, because very light skewers will work just fine. You don't need an MSR Groundhog or some other kind of Y-stake, just something like this, available almost anywhere nowadays:

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-tent-stake-ultralight.html

For the beach, yes, you'll need something substantial, if not an actual sand anchor.

Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

It seems like everytime I go on this site, I spend money. Now have a set of 4 Ruta 9" stakes in route to try out on my next trip.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Well Scott, at least you are getting some good kit out of the deal..:)

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Support US craftsmen. Go on BPL…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Unless you're English. Then you should support U.K. based businesses. BPL is global, don't forget that.

I use MSR Groundhogs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Unless you're English. Then you should support U.K. based businesses."

Well, I am American. But I certainly don't limit my gear patronage only to American businesses.

But Ken, I think your intention isn't that at all — you just want to remind us that BPL readership is global — and we shouldn't write like everyone is American here. And that, I heartily agree. :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think U.S. people should favor purchases from countries that have relatively balanced trade with.

Like Canada or U.K. Probably Mexico.

Dis-favor buying stuff from China because we have the biggest trade imbalance. Bad for both our economies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools