Topic

pairing a ridgerest with an inflatable…how do you carry that darned thing??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pairing a ridgerest with an inflatable…how do you carry that darned thing??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I'm going to try using a new short ridgerest solight with my exped synmat on my big bend trip this week. For at least one night on the south rim (8k elevation or so) I expect some pretty darned cold temps – like low 20s or upper teens – thanks to our cold spell passing through.

How in the world do you guys carry this big bulky thing? I even got the short one (i'm only 5'7" so these short models are pretty perfect for me) but wow it's awfully bulky.

I'm hoping to perhaps find enough love for this mat that I can eventually just use it by itself come Colorado Trail time this summer, but for temps this cold I'm going to use it to a) boost the synmat's R value and b) protect the underside of this new one. Once we get back to the desert floor I'm hoping it will be warm enough to try it by itself to see how I like it…

Suggestions???

I'm going to be trying out an Ohm 2.0 on this trip, for suggested packing ideas.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I like to carry mine on the back of my pack, vertically. I have a set of straps there for that exact purpose. It's a little awkward, but so is everything else. I'm actually considering for my next trip bringing *two* CCF pads for my torso – a tri-fold 3/8" pad to be put inside my pack and a convoluted foam pad for the outside. I used that combination car camping on a cold night recently and it was amazingly warm.

I've also found a 3/16" plastizote pad (I got it from Oware) to work pretty well in conjunction with an inflatable for cold temps. That's much easier to carry. But certainly not as warm as the ridgerest. I also found it warmer to put it on top of the inflatable, but of course then you don't get protection from desert pokies.

Have fun in Big Bend! I might go there in March.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

The only one I've seen carried that wasn't across the top or bottom of the pack was in Tipi Walter's pics showing his carried vertically on the side in a stuff sack-which is a pretty good way to carry such a bulky piece, I think, except I wouldn't want it on the side.

Compression straps that go all the way around the packbag could sandwich it vertically on the back, and packs with tie off points top and bottom could be used to carry it the same way using cord.
    When I used a ZLite, I always carried it vertical on the back, but both of the packs I was using then had the long compression straps.
    The only pics I have are from 2011 with a Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer.
    aass
    Might look goofy, but MUCH better than carrying it horizontally and getting hung on stuff all the time.

Similar, with the ZLite, my shelter, and some other items in a rope bag.
    asasas

Crap. Missed the Ohm 2.0 part, somehow. Maybe tie it off to the compression cords on either side of the Ohm, or run a cord or web strap from the tool loop up to the webbing for the top buckle.
    Either is going to kill using the stretch pocket, though…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

With a frameless pack it can form a frame by rolling it in a tube and stuffing the rest of your gear inside, "burrito" style and forming a column to transfer the weight to the hip belt. That does gobble interior space.

The outside options use vertical or horizontal rolls, asymmetrically on one side, straight up the front, across the top or under the bottom. It looks like heck, but the density is low enough to keep it from being too difficult to carry.

The bulk is pretty much why the folding Z-rest style pad was made. Many fold them in a wider, thinner configuration and use that inside against the back as a framesheeet.

CCF pads are less expensive, warm and tough, but there's no free lunch on packing one.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

For my larger winter packs with a lid (Osprey Aether, etc), I roll it and strap in vertically. For my lighter packs with no top lid (ULA Conduit or Catalyst), I roll it and strap it under the top compression strap. I prefer to have it up top when possible. I use a strap to keep it rolled up when I need to get into the top of my pack so I don't have to keep rolling it back up. I also like the added psychological benefit of knowing the back of my head isn't exposed if there are cougars around.

Enjoy Big Bend. The south rim was my favorite part, but definitely stop by the hot springs and some of the nearby canyons (most are easily visited with about an hour of time).

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Like thisgg virga there is another ccf pad burrito style inside for frame

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I just strap mine on top and watch out for the ocotillo and if the brush gets close on trails. I like the zlite better though. it's just easier to deal with all day and I use em for my mid day nap.:-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I carry the Trail Pro self-inflating mattress in my pack and the Ridgerest, in its stuff sack, strapped to the bottom of my pack.

You can also strap each mattress to the sides of your pack.*

* both in stuff sacks for protection

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

DM – why/how is the zlite better to deal with all day?

I wasn't sure which to get…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I normally just strap mine to the side of my pack, I use a thick rubber band (about an inch thick) to cinch it down.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I use my z lite to nap on for my mid day break and as a sit pad for shorter breaks….great on the PCT if it was kinda cool out, spread out in a sunny spot and get some zzz's! Lots of people on long trails use the do do out of their z lites. :-)
    Z lites are more versatile, you can use the folding options to make a shelf or a pillow or more padding on the hip area, etc.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Maybe it is possible to cut the pad into two halves. Then glue some Velcro to both sides to make a pad easy in camp. Two halves may rest on both sides of your pack and are less bulky.

Maybe it's weird though :)

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

In my opinion,they are not worth the packing hassles they create with a modern internal frame pack. Especially if you are already packing an air pad.

A better foam pad at 13 oz is the Exped Multi mat. Its 40" wide and folded in half at about 19" it would provide.plenty of additional R factor under your inflatable that can be rolled or folded im your pack without the form factor of a Bazooka.

Jeff's post on this thread say it better than I can-

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=96205

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I prefer to carry it outside vertically with two loops of thicker shock cord and cord locks. Thin shock cord works, but isn't quite as secure.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Strapping the pad horizontally on top usually works fine, unless you're doing some pretty thick off-trail travel. The ridgerest will get torn up, but that won't hurt it functionally.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools