Topic

Nylon pants for hiking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nylon pants for hiking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Waddell
    Spectator

@m-waddell

Hello everyone. I live in the PNW and do 3-4 day hiking/camping trips and I've been looking into some hiking pants. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are concerning nylon pants for hiking, like a pair of Nike windbreaker pants you can get for under $30.

So many hiking pants are really expensive and are easily $60+. Would nylon track/wind pants be a viable option? They're generally inexpensive and have an elastic waistband which is something I like. Generally, I wear a waist harness with my backpack and wearing a belt underneath can get uncomfortable.

I'm thinking they're comfortable, lightweight, wind resistant, and inexpensive. I would like your opinions or any suggestions for hiking pants.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some of those track pants are kinda hot and don't breathe well. Other than that go for it. It does not need to be technical apparel. I have a pair I wear at times. Oh and no bushwhacking in them. Otherwise look for supplex nylon pants. On sale.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agree on all points with Ken.

I don't know if they are in your area, in any case they are online, check out Bass Pro Shop. They tend to have supplex nylon hiking pants for pretty reasonable, especially when they have clearance or sales.

They usually are more breathable and much more durable than the thin nylon wind pants.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree, supplex good

Supplex is generic. Not cool for manufacturer to use it. Better to have some proprietary fabric that's essentially the same. Then they can charge more.

Regular nylon is slippery. If the pants have more of a cloth like feel like supplex, then it's more comfortable.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Michael,

I've used unlined nylon wind pants for decades. As mentioned, breathability is a factor and varies a lot so you need to check them out before buying.

Most of mine came from second hand stores and only cost a few bucks.

I've also bought these new ones and like them a lot.

here

They also have supplex pants at the same site but you have to buy a suit (top and bottom) to get them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools