Topic

PCT start date – Carson Pass CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PCT start date – Carson Pass CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

Hello!
    I hiked from the Mexican border to Carson Pass in 2012 on an attempted thru hike. Long story short, plantar fasciitis is no fun :(. Fast forward to 2015 and I am going to pick up where I left off. Mile 1080 at Carson Pass CA. I was inquiring about when would be a good time to start hiking north. I can start as early as April 1st. Also, if there is too much snow there in spring, I've thought of hiking south from the Oregon border then, when reaching the pass, heading north out of Oregon? Anyone with experience in Northern California on the pct in spring? Any weather/conditions advice would be a great help.
    Thanks

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Around Carson Pass, too much depends on the winter snowpack. On some years, on April 1 we are going cross country skiing around Carson Pass. Sometimes we even ski there on a bad snow year at April 1. So, I am thinking that April 1 is a bit too early for long range backpacking there. May 1-15 seems smarter. If it is a decent snow year, then maybe even later. So far, we can't tell what the winter will yield. The snow will be more than zero, and it probably will not be tremendous.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

As Bob said it will depend on the year. As a general rule I would target July 1st and adjust accordingly to the snow conditions. by the way, the problem would be in that area, it will be north of 80. If you start in May you will chase snow ll through N Ca. Unless it is a low snow year.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

Ok, sounds like Carson pass is a no go that early. Anybody know about the CA OR border area for a possible southbound start as early as April 1st? I'm going to read up on the weather…

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

But bear in mind that farther North you get more snow at lower elevation. An easy check for you would be the dates that High 89 opens over Lassen Volcanic National Park. The PCT runs right through there…and that road has opened as late as August!

I think April 1 is unrealistic unless you are seriously considering snowshoes or skis for a couple of months on the trail. There's a reason the NOBOs on the PCt plan to get into this are closer to June…because that's when it finally opens up a bit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools