Topic

Six Moon Designs Comet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Six Moon Designs Comet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz.

The Comet really dials in on the size and features many LW backpackers want. Its 3700 cu in size is just right for UL multi-day trips, it has loads of outside mesh pocket space, and has a sleeping pad pocket inside the pack behind the stays.

I found it necessary to bend the stays to fit the curvature of my back in order to get a good fit. Then the pack fits like I’m wearing it, and comfortably carries a good load.

The only drawbacks that I have noticed so far are the mesh pockets are a bit too tight for their height, making it hard to reach things at the bottom; and I would prefer a simple drawcord top closure rather than the Velcro/drybag closure it has.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I have used this pack a total of 17 days this summer, including 15 on a thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail.

The pack volume and design suit my needs perfectly for carrying up to 5 days worth of food, and if I lighten my gear more, I'm confident I could be supplied for up to 7 days.

Fit and comfort are great due to adjustable torso length, fully padded hipbelt, and loadlifter straps.

The roll-top closure, hydration tube port, and side pocket access, all of which were given negative reviews here and elsewhere on the older version, were not a problem for me with the newer version.

One small improvement I would make would be to add length to the three compression webbing straps across the front of the pack, and the top strap over the top of the pack, giving more room to externally store shelters and closed cell foam sleeping pads.

The one problem I faced I believe to be by chance, and not a design flaw, but about half way through the hike the optional aluminum stays broke through the fabric at the bottom of the pack.
    I carried the pack using only a 3-section folded blue foam pad as a virtual frame for the rest of the trip (one week) with no problems, leading me to believe the stays were not needed, and that my pack weight didn't cause the failure.
    When I returned Six Moon Designs immediatly responded (on a Sunday) to my email, and asked for the pack for repair.

Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

I am very pleased with the Comet after a couple of weekend outings and training hikes for the PCT.

I am new to the ultralight backpacking. The comet has served as a good stepping stone towards a lighter pack weight. I had to choose between the comet and the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. The Vapor trail is given great reviews for comfort but I have found the comet to be just as comfortable (I only tried the vapor trail on in the store). The stays conform to my back perfectly creating a great fit. It has a well working suspension with effective load-lifting straps.

I was concerned about the velcro top and its ease of use over a draw cord. I would still prefer a draw cord but the velcro works fine. I just hope it doesn't wear out.

I learned my lesson quick on my first outing with the pack, to treat lighter gear a little bit more carefully. I set it against a tree and an small rip opened up on the mesh, but it was easily fixed.

There is also a small zip pocket on the inside that works well to store valuables.

In all I think it is a great pack and I look forward to using it on the PCT. It is a great step towards a lighter style- maybe in the future I will use it with out stays and hipbelt, both removable. some of the pictures online don't do the pack justice and make it look thrown together. It is a well though out pack.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools