Topic

New Hazard: turkeys!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/turkeys-reportedly-chasing-runners-in-california-park

An estimated 50 to 60 wild turkeys are loose in Richmond, California, part of the San Francisco Bay Area, and "the big birds chase joggers in Wildcat Canyon Regional Park," reports Richmond Confidential.

The birds' presence in Richmond started with a hen turkey eight years ago. Some Richmond residents welcome the fowls, according to Richmond Confidential, while others complain about destroyed plants and poop-plentiful lawns.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In abouts 2006 I was in the Grand Canyon and we heard rumors of a duo of antagonistic turkeys. We ran into them at Bright Angel campground. They were aggressive in seeking food.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Blue grouse chased every cross country ski racer, 1000 in all as they raced passed her burrow in the Great Ski Race at Tahoe, CA
    a few years ago. Funniest thing, it was near the end of a race and on the uphill, so she egged on quite a few of the later skiers to faster times.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't think that a blue grouse lives in a burrow. It tends to be a nest underneath some sagebrush.

Blue grouse probably taste better than wild turkeys.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If you have an hour, listen to this year's poultry slam on This American Life and the story they shared about a turkey that terrorized a neighborhood. It didn't end well for the turkey but I was in tears laughing as they described his shenanigans. I run by geese on a fairly regular basis and think it's just a matter of time before one of those mean bastards takes a bite out of me.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I run by geese on a fairly regular basis
    Domestic geese or wild geese?

Cheers

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Wild ones. The Canadian geese are no problem but there are a couple big oil' ugly SOBs that capture my undivided attention when they start hissing at me and start posturing for a fight.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah – wild ones.
    Maybe a rag soaked in 'essence de bear'?

I had problems with some domestic geese coming on my place and hassling my birds. The owner was not inclined to do anything about it – until I casually mentioned that Xmas was coming up.

Cheers

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

No sh*t … they can knock down people caught unaware and male wild turkeys have large sharp spurs on the back of their lower legs that can cut you up pretty bad.

Best to steer clear of them during mating season. Fun to watch from a distance though.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

It's not just Richmond. I live in Berkeley, the next town to the south. We've had a massive turkey influx into our neighborhoods over the last few years. Oakland too. (cue the obvious jokes.) They're coming down from the very large regional park that runs through the hills just to the east of all three of these towns. For me, the strangest thing is seeing a large flock walking across very traffic-heavy streets just under the BART tracks near San Pablo Ave., about a quarter mile from REI. This is a flat out urban area–but I've seen them there several times over the years as I drive to work. Hard to know what they're eating and where they're roosting.

About a year ago I was walking up towards Wildcat Park on residential streets. A big Tom was standing in a yard, along with a single cat frozen in place, one paw up, in a posture of attack. I watched the cat and the indifferent turkey for about three minutes. It was clear that this was the cat's Moby Dick moment, but it just couldn't bring itself to actually carry out its intention. Wisely so.

Deer, skunk and racoon, along with many raptors, visit my neighborhood all the time. Now turkeys too. I love it! (Well, not always the skunks.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I live in Berkeley, the next town to the south. We've had a massive turkey influx into our neighborhoods over the last few years….. Hard to know what they're eating and where they're roosting."

That explains the general impression of tough turkeys. If you're going to be a successful dumpster diver in Berserkly ya gotta have sharp elbows and an attitude to match. ;0)

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Bob, they have their babies under the snow. Unlike other animals that travel to lower elevations for winter the grouse head up, have their chicks under the snow and they feed them on fir needles.

Wild Grouse and Wild Turkeys both taste great.

My wife staples bacon on the outside of them with toothpicks before baking.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

"It's not just Richmond. I live in Berkeley, the next town to the south. We've had a massive turkey influx into our neighborhoods over the last few years. Oakland too. (cue the obvious jokes.) They're coming down from the very large regional park that runs through the hills just to the east of all three of these towns. For me, the strangest thing is seeing a large flock walking across very traffic-heavy streets just under the BART tracks near San Pablo Ave., about a quarter mile from REI. This is a flat out urban area–but I've seen them there several times over the years as I drive to work. Hard to know what they're eating and where they're roosting."

Hey, me too! They may be living at the Gilman tract (agricultural research/farm owned by the University, squatted on by hippies). At least that's where I've seen them when making the REI trip. There and loitering at a nearby bus stop.

They don't hassle me up at Wildcat, but I tend to bring a sizable dog with me.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

n.m.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

In the East Bay parks where we regularly see turkeys, they always are a bit skittish and keep their distance from us…they probably know I would love to cook a wild turkey!

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I guess you wouldn't need a personal trainer when jogging in Richmond. There would be plenty of motivation to go fast with them suckas behind ya.

This reminds me an early morning hike in Cuyamaca, CA. some 15-20 years ago. It had rained the night before but was sunny that morning making steam come off the ground like low clouds. My buddies and I happened to be eating mushrooms for this particular experience when a flock of dinosaur looking turkeys came running up the hill. We all just stood there for a few minutes as the clan gracefully ran up a 45 degree grade like nothing, all gobling and tooting their horns.

It was a long time ago.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Trained our dog to chase them out of the yard. One time he tried to chase a hen with poults, but she chased him right back spurs first. Now he barks first to let them know he is coming out in hopes they run before he has to get close. He stops at the edge of the yard, having done his job. He is a very skinny little fellow and tho he likes a good chase is not interested in contact sports.
    turkey

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

In order:

-Mule deer or elk backstrap
    -Mule deer or elk blade roast
    -Blue grouse
    -Wild Turkey
    -Whitetail backstrap

etc.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

My local state park is swarmed with them.
    It would help if they had a few designated hunting days with an unlimited limit. They would be extremely easy to shoot.
    But that will never happen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"-Mule deer or elk backstrap
    -Mule deer or elk blade roast
    -Blue grouse
    -Wild Turkey
    -Whitetail backstrap"

I thought you're supposed to wash it down with Wild Turkey.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"He is a very skinny little fellow and tho he likes a good chase is not interested in contact sports."

Get a Jack Russell and you'll never again have to worry about what's for Thanksgiving dinner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My buddies and I happened to be eating mushrooms for this particular experience when a flock of dinosaur looking turkeys came running up the hill."

Must have been some bad a$$ mushrooms if you thought those Orcs were dinosaur looking turkeys.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Wash it down with Famous Grouse on the Glorious 12th.famous grouseglorious

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I can't say "wabbit" right, but turkey? No pwobwem!

Elmer Fudd

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Just let the local asian immigrant population know where they are and they will dissapear.

At least thats what happened to all the domestic ducks in the neighborhood lakes where I grew up. Made quite a few folks upset.

We had a big influx of vietnamese refugees, and a startling decline in duck population.

Where they came from catching easy food was just something acceptable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools