Topic

patagonia r3 for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) patagonia r3 for backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Patagonia Bound

@mtinmia

Simple question – is the Patagonia R3 too warm for backpacking?

I have one and LOVE it but just haven't used it much as active wear. I want to make it work but am just worried about it being too warm – I'll be seeing temps from 20 – 60 degrees Fahrenheit with LOTS of wind on an upcoming trip.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yes, it's too warm as an active layer unless it's very cold, colder than what you would experience. You are really going to want some kind of lighter active layer or else you will be too hot on, too cold off.

It would be fine as a sationary layer, but down is lighter for the warmth as a staionary layer.
    Still, that really fluffy polartec thermal pro fleece is going to be the warmest per ounce non lofted material you can get.
    I sometimes carry heavy amounts of fleece as a stationary layer in extremely wet conditions because it allows everything under it to dry out and doesn't crap out when wet.

With all fleece their insulative ability is increased substantially (in my experience like 50% more warmth) when you wear it underneath a windproof shelll.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools