Topic

Wonderland Trail or Tahoe Rim Trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wonderland Trail or Tahoe Rim Trail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

I have the chance to do either the Wonderland Trail or the Tahoe Rim Trail in 2015. Unfortunately I don't have time to hit both…
    Wonderland sounds great and is fairly close by as I live in BC. The terrain and weather are similar enough to home to not be an issue.
    The Tahoe Rim Tail really interests me as it will be different than the hiking around here.
    Has anyone done both and care to compare them?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Everyone is different, but I thought the TRT was OK.

Half the trail reminded me of local open space: Not really remote, near homes/roads, lots of people out trail running, walking dogs and after work mtbike rides, etc.

I love those types of trails here in Boulder. But, I usually don't fly a third of the way across the country do them! :)

Some beauty on the trail for sure, but overall, I should have done something different.

OTOH, I've only heard good things about the Wonderland Trail. Being so close to where you live, probably logistically easy too! (just to be clear, I have not done this trail).

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have hiked the Wonderland but not the TRT. A couple sections can be a bit of a circus on the weekends but I've also hiked sections where I only saw one or two people per day. Like the JMT, I wouldn't necessarily call this a wilderness experience but there's plenty of wildlife, beautiful scenery, and the elevation gains/losses certainly makes for a challenging hike at times depending on your pace.

Maybe I'll pass you on I5 as I hope to hike the West Coast Trail next year.

Dave T

@davet

I really like the TRT, but I can understand how parts of it seem a bit recreational. My two long hikes on it (once around, one 2/3 around) have been in September, and much less crowded (and no mosquitoes). Great views of the lake and Carson Valley and a nicely-maintained and gentle trail. It would be a different hike than the Wonderland (which I have not done) but it's a pretty great hike nonetheless. It's also a great hike to go REALLY minimal on. Start at Echo Lake, go clockwise, resupply in Tahoe City, around the lake, resupply near Heavenly, and back to Echo.

Either that, or do some (non-JMT) hike in the High Sierra! That's the real deal.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I've spent a lot of time on parts of the TRT; and I've hiked part, but not all, of the Wonderland. Hands down, the Wonderland is more spectacular, imo. And this is from someone who really loves Lake Tahoe: but mostly in the winter.

There are far more spectacular parts of the Sierra to hike in during the summer months than the TRT.

I grew up in the PNW and always dismissed Mt. Rainier for hiking, until I actually hiked part of the wonderland. I still probably prefer the area around Glacier, but really you won't be disappointed by Mt. Rainier.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I still probably prefer the area around Glacier, but really you won't be disappointed by Mt. Rainier."

+1 No reason not to put both on your list, IMO.

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

Mags:I have read that the TRT has some what of a 'local open space' feel to it. I have read your trip report. Rainier is closer but at the same point in time I am going to be riding my motorcycle there. Lake Tahoe offers better riding (ride through the high desert there and back up the coast on the way home) than the short jaunt to Washington State. I guess that is the main point of debate for me: Better hiking with no real motorcycle trip or ok hiking with some better riding. Just to throw a wrench in to it, the other option I have is a motorcycle only trip to the artic but that is more of an advrider.com topic.

Dave T:Any hike I do on the motorcycle has to be minimal! Resupply in the towns is easier and cheaper than me mailing food across the border.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools