Topic

Maroon Bells – Why I stay away

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Maroon Bells – Why I stay away

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Wildness in Peril – High Use Issues in the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness

Link to youtube video

Post title edited to reflect the misconceptions of my fashion sense.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"Solitude is lost when you encounter over 20 groups in a day."

I have a different definition of solitude!

Might be time for actual permits (not self serve) there. I've only been after Labor day and it hasn't been that bad. 90% of the people I've seen have been day hikers going to Crested Butte or turning around at Maroon Pass.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I had Snowmass Lake to myself a month ago. But, the day I went in and the next day when I hiked out, many folks, still doing the loop. I didn't stay due to the deep snow over the passes, I was tired enough without trying to get over thigh deep snow. I can imagine it getting over used in the summer.

Pretty happy with the Colorado crowd, I hardly found any foil, debris with my two nights in the area, the last night above Crater Lake, along the creek.
    Duane

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

There were a lot of hikers (backpackers, day hikers, and a few trail runners) in August but far fewer around 4th of July (of course that's when I got hit with massive rain). Even in August I was able to camp away but not near a lake. I think there should be a permit system when public land gets overcrowded … and the Maroon bells qualify sometimes. When the crowds thin , it should just be open.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

In Washington State we have a number of places with permit systems in both National Parks and Wilderness Areas. They are a serious hassle and, sadly, totally necessary. Sounds like the Maroon Bells could use a system like the Wonderland Trail, covering peak summer months. I have heard stories of how busy trails like Wonderland would get, or how trashed areas like the Enchantments got before the permit systems were put in place.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I thought this post was either about a poisonous mushroom or red colored bear bells that didn't mix with the author's fashion sense.

Sorely disappointed.

Erica R.
    Spectator

@skrapp138

Locale: Between the Rockies and the Sierras

I relocated to the Denver area earlier this year and have been doing a ton of hiking and backpacking since I got here. Primarily, for the majority of my life before coming here, the Sierras have been my stomping ground…which is notorious for its decently-regulated permit systems (except the Mt Whitney zone, which has to be the most disgusting 'wilderness' areas I have ever encountered).

But moving to the Rockies, I have been semi-shocked by the overuse on nearly every trail I have been on (I'd say the Gore Range was the only area that didn't feel entirely over-populated that I have experienced so far. The Indian Peaks Wilderness is horribly abused as well. I had plans to do Four Pass Loop all summer, and never made it out – and this video makes me almost glad I didn't.

The 14ers that I hiked this year (before I decided to avoid them due to overcrowding), are in desperate need of a permit system – for day hikers, and overnight hikers. The wag bags that are used in the Whitney Zone might not be a bad idea as well for the fragile alpine area. And if they put rangers on those trails to ticket hikers with off-leash dogs, Colorado would surely be make a small-fortune :) (I love bringing my dogs on trails, but I do think the leash rules exist for good reason)

My question is – how we speak up about this and to whom? Is a permit system and trailhead quotas even realistic (being new to colorado, I'm not sure how long this discussion has been going on)?

*Erica*

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

@Erica – for the 4 Passes Loop, the overcrowding occurs around August/September with relatively good weather….maybe a permit system? Past 2 PM however, many trad packers started setting up camp, so I pretty much had the trail to myself from Snowmass Lk to Favert Falls except for a father-daughter backpack team (running late they said) and a duo (husband/wife) trail-running. West Maroon pass was crowded but many are day hikers shuttled via various hotels. Not sure the FS wants to take on the tourism industry…. by that time I was about zero on food and just wanted "out" + pizza.

Also, I've been there on a 4th of July holiday and there were very few of us past the tourist area (West Maroon portal -> Maroon Lake ->Crater Lake) due to monsoon season thunderstorms. That was some heavy rain though.

Magical area regardless of the crowds. Honestly, with trad packers huffing and puffing the passes, everyone is committed to getting over the next pass, so it never felt overcrowded. I didn't camp at the traditional places though …

Add about another set of trailheads I stayed near Long's Pk and those were always overcrowded. The state maintains a road from the Boulder area to Estes Park with some touristy towns (how many coffee shops can a small town have?), so not sure the local biz groups would support limiting crowds however.

Back to the Maroon's, think they will evaluate the effect of bear canisters first as it forced many campers into overusing Snowmass lake.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

I agree there should be real permits for Maroon Bells Wilderness. There are real permits to camp in IPW already. I did Four Pass Loop in September 2012 and didn't see many people and this is a stunning time to be in the area, the best time to be there for sure.

But the solitude is not the only issue at hand. So even if you don't see many people in September, you're still going to deal with the residual effects of the crowds in July and August.

The Maroon Bells are very highly publizied. Backpacker Magazine called FPL among the best backpacking loops in N. America. And it's also the most photographed place in Colorado, and THE destination to go to if you're a tourist visiting Aspen.

Conundrum Hot Springs aren't a secret to anyone anymore. Best go in October, you'll see a lot less people.

Erica, which 14ers did you do? There are definitely plenty of 14ers that aren't totally crowded. The ones closest to Denver are by far the most crowded. Giving up on them entirely is a disservice to the incredible beauty that many of them offer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools