Topic

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryley Breiddal
    Spectator

@ryleyb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting glove. Waterproof and windproof. Very dexterous. It claims to be breathable, but that's pretty much pure BS. I found it to be minimally insulated and if I even thought of hand sweat, that was pretty much it for keeping my hands warm.

So if it's around 45-60F and raining/windy, this is a great glove. If it's warmer and windy and you're actually exerting, your hands will boil in the glove and then freeze as soon as you stop moving (i.e. get to camp).

IMO, you can do better in most backpacking situations.

Dr Andrew Allan

@mathouramedical

Locale: Melbourne

I've had mine for a few years, and have mixed feelings – I'm not convinced they're waterproof, although they're at least pretty water resistant. an alternative explanation is that perhaps they don't breath that well – the bottom line is that my fingers get wet in them, but at least they then dry off if the weather warms up. I mainly use them in good conditions in Australia for ski touring, where the temperature is around -2 to 10 C. They do "a job" but they are not the "ultimate" glove that I was looking for….. nor are the socks.

Dr Andrew Allan

@mathouramedical

I've had mine for a few years, and have mixed feelings – I'm not convinced they're waterproof, although they're at least pretty water resistant. an alternative explanation is that perhaps they don't breath that well – the bottom line is that my fingers get wet in them, but at least they then dry off if the weather warms up. I mainly use them in good conditions in Australia for ski touring, where the temperature is around -2 to 10 C. They do "a job" but they are not the "ultimate" glove that I was looking for….. nor are the socks.

Dr Andrew Allan

@mathouramedical

Robert Taylor

@robtay

The good, i like the grip.

The bad, its a cold glove.

The ugly, as waterproof as a sponge.

These gloves are expensive, the picture of the glove being placed into water imho is false advertising and someone should be made answerable, i tried this myself on the day i received them and my hand was instantly wet. Maybe its just i have got a faulty pair i thought but after hitting the forums i realised not so. To rub salt into the wound the cost of special delivery made it waste of time sending them back. They get a 2 only because i liked the fit and grip.

They are shower proof at very best.

There are much better gloves at half the price.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I tried these for part of a season and gave up. My fingers often felt cold and damp. Deterity isn't as good as I would have expected given the modest thickness of these gloves. I hated them.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am sure the newer softshell
    WPB materials, with some insulation and protective patches will be light years ahead. The sox are a little more useful, such as for a VBL under water mocs for kayaking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools