Topic

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ether Thermo 6

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ether Thermo 6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan Beutel

@dbeutel

Locale: Where the skiing is!

Definitely the comfiest pad I've ever slept on. At only 16 ounces for the 2/3 length it is much more comfortable than any self inflating pad. Inflated it is about 2.5" thick and about 22" wide offering lots of support. It also fits well into the floor of an Alpacka. I haven't had it out on snow yet, though I have been on some cold ground and got snowed on a few days ago and the insulation seems to be at least as warm as Therma-rest Ultralites I've used in the past. It takes about 75-90 seconds to inflate, which seems much longer in the middle of the process but isn't bad. Durability has been excellent given that I have been placing it directly on the ground for sleeping and in the floor of my Alpacka which means grinding sand and gravel into it all day. All around a great pad.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

A great alternative to the BA insulated aircore pad if you are looking for 2.5" inflatable comfort. The higher denier rating in the POE design gives me more confidence in the durability, and shaving 8oz from your pack weight compared to a BA full length pad is a great savings. Some people have reported issues with the horizontal baffles not being quite as comfortable as the vertically aligned ones in the BA pad. I have not had any comfort issues from these, or from the 2/3 length.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I bought an ether thermo 6 full length for
    both my wife and myself this spring. We have both used them for 8 nights so far. We
    stay warm down to about 35-40 degrees and below that add a GG 1/8" pad. It is the most comfortable pad we have ever used. Don't care what they weigh. Won't leave home without it. They do work better with bags rather than quilts. Starting next week they will get a workout in the Winds for 6 nights above 10,000 ft. I will follow up on this report at that time. Well here is the follow up after our Wind River trip. The 1st night out we got a little cool when the temps dropped to about 29 degrees. That was probably due to it being our 1st night out.We
    just added long johns and were fine. The
    comfort was incredible & makes these worth every extra ounce. The rest of the trip the temps stayed in the mid 30's and we were very warm.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I purchased this last year after spending over an hour in the store making the selection. I believe that I have scored heavily with my selection. Warm and comfortable. The 2/3 length is the trade off of weight to comfort to make. I take a 2' x 2' section of a WalMart blue closed cell foam pad with me to sit on – essentially disposable when it wears too much – and it works perfectly under my calves and feet to fill out the remaining 1/3.

Mine did develop a small hole; probably a sharp rock. A little silicone sealant smeared over the damage fixed it. So it is maybe not bomb-proof, but at the weight, what could be?

And I sleep very well on it.

adam brenner
    BPL Member

@adammbrennerhotmail-com

Locale: Olympics and Cascades

I echo the sentiments above. Great if you are a side sleeper. Fairly warm.

Keth Comollo

@bleemus

Locale: Vermont

After reading the reviews here I snagged one of these off Amazon.com for $30 for the 2/3 length version.

Having slept on it two nights so far in temps around 30F I can attest that this is the best I have felt on the ground in some time. Normally a hammock hanger but I sleep on the ground with my sons and girlfriend. This pad will be a cherished part of my sleep kit from now on!

Off to the tent in the backyard for some more gear testing. Snow showers forecasted and the Ether is under me. All is good!

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

This is the one area where I've added weight to my pack. I used to be able to sleep on just closed-cell foam; but my back can't take it anymore.

This POE pad is ridiculously comfortable in the field. (I have the 2/3 version.) It works on my back, on my side and on my stomach.

I thought it was more comfortable than the Neo-Air. It is also rated a bit warmer, and is less than half the price!

Though it's heavier than my old closed-cell foam pad, it does pack down smaller.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools