Topic

Anyone having trouble contacting ProLite Gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone having trouble contacting ProLite Gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I tried calling them this afternoon on behalf of a friend of mine in the UK, and their phone number appears to have been disconnected.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I had the same problem yesterday.
    but they did respond to email.

Billy

David Ure

@familyguy

Maybe they just don't want to speak with either of you. Always asking them about gear. Trying to get discounts. Etc.

; )

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Bwahahahaha. OK, Dave – busted. Maybe it's my wife who has programmed call intercepts for any and every outdoor gear company I've visited in the last 12 months. Gotta clear the cache more often.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Craig Delger (the owner)is a member here,you could PM him if you wanted

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Thank you Link. I found Craig's contact info last night and PM'd him, in addition to sending a message to ProLite Gear's Facebook page and emailing directly to [email protected]. This morning I received a reply to my email, and that seems like it's the only way to get in contact with them right now, just as Billy mentioned.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

After your initial post I sent an email through their site asking if they were having problems with their phone since I got a disconnected message when calling. They responded that the best way to reach them was via email. I responded that that wasn't my question. I never got a response to that.

I've done business with them in the past, more than once, but won't in the future.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Before I posted last week, I too got a one-liner email reply saying that email was the best way to contact them. I placed an order on Tuesday, and something shipped promptly. It arrived after I left for a long weekend on the east coast. I'm now back at my home airport, but heading to the west coast so I won't get to see the contents until late tomorrow night.

I did follow up with an email asking about another stock item, last Thursday, and received a prompt reply confirming it was still available. Another one-liner, no explanation as to why the phone number was disconnected.

Edit: Nixed my speculative comments based on others' feedback and the appearance of new videos since I checked last Friday. Hopefully they get their comms back online soon. And in the meantime, if you're able to snag a WM or Hillie at a decent discount, good on yer.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

A few other retailers have Western Mountaineering on sale too; not just Prolite.

And I got my order quick and everything was correct.

Billy

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

JP… you need to ask them; not me.

b

Thomas Davenport
    Spectator

@thomasdavenport

I suspect this is much ado about nothing given the posting of new Youtube videos this past weekend with down jacket reviews. Maybe he has been focused on writing the corresponding article, preparing the spreadsheet, and shooting and editing videos.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Thomas, Thanks for pointing out those new videos. I checked last on Thursday or Friday and saw nothing new since early September.

My order was waiting for me when I arrived home tonight. Fast 2 day FedEx shipping , I just wasn't here to receive it. So, yes it does appear to be much ado about nothing. Unusual communications but everything was smooth. No worries here.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Danton Rice
    Spectator

@drice

Locale: Bozeman

I live in Bozeman so I thought I'd stop by today and see what was going on with ProLite. Their showroom / store is now closed and empty with a hand written sign on the door that says you can still visit the on-line store. Probably explains the phone disconnect. Sorry to see them close the doors on the retail store since it was nice to be able to try gear on locally. Given the selection / prices on their site currently and the fact that the retail store has shut down it certainly looks like they may be in the process of closing out and shutting down.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

FWIW, from an email received this afternoon.

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/clearance.html?m=00074tgyj0yV4Pb8BCs3zrcm04g

No disclosure needed as I am not connected to ProLite. It seemed more appropriate to post here rather than in gear deals. I imagine someone else will post there in any case.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Hmmm. Thanks for checking the place out in person, Danton. That does explain why the phone number is disconnected. Comparing the newest videos with the ones shot earlier in the year, it was obvious Craig is no longer filming them in the retail store.

John – I received the same email. After a quick count, I see he is discounting 100 SKUs, a lot of it high end stuff. Maybe I wasn't off the mark earlier in a comment (since edited) that he could be winding the business down. If so, that's a real shame.

To reiterate an earlier post, I did receive the order I placed on behalf of a friend in the UK, it was shipped quickly, and the website inventory was updated immediately afterwards.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Yeah, I too stopped by today to visit with Nick and look at gear but the showroom is now closed. Bummer!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tis a shame, i liked how they did videos testing and/or reviewing gear more in depth.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

The item I purchased from Prolite Gear had a flaw, so I contacted them to arrange an exchange. They directed me to the manufacturer as they didn't have a replacement, and emailed me a shipping label to pay for it. However it expired before FedEx said it would, so I asked Prolite Gear for a new one. They did that, but then told me that I should use it soon, as

"…we are closing our store and will be unable to help you in the future."

Frustratingly, the manufacturer's address was wrong on the shipping label, and FedEx weren't able to change it, so I paid for shipping myself rather than go back to Prolite Gear a third time.

They had a brand / product selection that differentiated them from most of the others out there, and some terrific videos, but I guess the industry is a tough place for an independent to survive. If you read this, Craig, I'm sorry to hear the news. I wish you the best for your future ventures.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

That is a bummer. I got a lot of Rab, Montbell, and ID stuff from them when few stores stocked that sort of gear.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Big bummer, :~(

Thomas Davenport
    Spectator

@thomasdavenport

Second the thoughts on this being a bummer. Prolite Gear was obviously passionate about the outdoors and gear, and was introducing brands (I'm thinking in particular of RAB and Montane) that were not big here but are producing great stuff. Hard to see someone trying to pursue a dream, appearing to be very smart and diligent about it, but not being able to make a go.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools