Topic

Inov-8 Roclite 390 XCR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Inov-8 Roclite 390 XCR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I bought my pair from REI in case I needed to return them. I'd have preferred a pair without gore tex, but it was fun to splash through water without drying out. I was worried that the description for "hill walking" indicated something tamer than what I intended, but they're English, so I took it as understatement.

The fit is wider in the toe box than the narrowly spaced eyelets suggest. I'm a size D or E and was fine. My foot/toes swell during the day, so I usually get a half size larger than a casual shoe. I did that in this case. The arch was in the right place, too.

Off trail these did what boots should do. On the trail they are fine the first day or two and then quite comfortable.

This review is written only after five days with a 25lb or less pack. The durability is unknown, but so far so good.

If you have troublesome ankles or hike off trail with a pack and fear inversion, this is a great boot with little or no weight penalty.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I've only worn these on a couple of three-mile hikes around the neighborhood so far. The limited experience so far is very good. I even leak-tested them in a big rain puddle with no problems. I found that by ordering a half-size up, I got a good fit for my E-width foot just like the previous reviewer. As these are constructed much like my 380 trail shoes, I expect similar outstanding results when I do get them out on the trail – over Thanksgiving in Big Bend completely off trail. I will most likely make these my normal selection for all my hiking trips, given that they do well in Big Bend. Having the higher top with the extra support and water-wading capability over the low top 380's at a 10-gram penalty – well, yeah.

Ordered from Zombie Runner.

David Lisak

@davelisak

Locale: Grand Canyon hiker

I am 55 years old and have chronic pain in my right ankle from a severe sprain. Until last week, I believed that I was destined to wear heavy, full leather boots until my last hike. Then I read some posts from other ankle sufferers who described using ankle braces and light boots and being very happy with the results. So I started testing ankle braces, and I bought a pair of INOV8 Roclite 390's. I finally settled on a pair of minimal, McDavid ankle wraps and tested them with the 390's on numerous training hikes. All went well. So I took the plunge and wore the brace-390 combination on a weeklong backpacking trek in the Grand Canyon. I climbed out of the Canyon 5 days ago and the experience was a revelation. My ankles never gave me so much as a whine all week. The McDavid wraps provided plenty of support. The INOV8 390's felt like slippers. It felt like I had been wearing a ball and chain and someone had cut them off suddenly. Walking felt effortless.

The boots themselves performed exceptionally. The sticky rubber treads gripped rocks beautifully. I could feel more of the rocks beneath my feet — which at first felt almost alarming — but after awhile I realized that my feet were not hurting, they were simply registering the shapes and protrusions that I was stepping on. I experienced no bruising at any time.

I worried that the Goretex boots might be too hot. Not so. The extra space in the toe box provided more air circulation.

The boots were so comfortable, that even after all day hikes I never felt that familiar desperation to get my boots off my feet once we reached our day's destination. Camp shoes are unnecessary.

I am still reveling in this experience. I sense that my days of wearing heavy boots are over.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools