Topic

Need help choosing hybrid singlewall shelter, solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help choosing hybrid singlewall shelter, solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

I'm switching back to tents after being unimpressed with tarp/bivy. Adding 10 more ounces to my shelter/sleep system in exchange for the myriad advantages of tents is worth it for me.

About me:

5'8" tall, about 150 pounds, so interior tent dimensions aren't a huge concern. 3+ season, Rocky Mountains and Tetons trekking, mostly above tree line not during snow season. Will need a tent that can withstand moderately high winds (40+ mph) and light snow loading. Looking to keep total cost under or around $300, so cuben is out.

I've been eyeing TarpTents for the most part due to reputation. Specifically the Contrail at 27.5 oz, Notch at 27 oz, and Moment DW at 34 oz. Have also considered the SMD Skyscape Trekker and Lunar Solo at 24 oz.

Ventilation is a prime concern for me. The TarpTents all seem to handle this issue very well. Haven't read a lot on the SMD tents.

I like the Contrail's design aesthetics, but I'm worried about functionality in high winds with pole support on only one far end.

The Moment seems to be most functional for my needs, especially if deployed with the additional 7 oz pole for a bombproof setup, but is by far the heaviest tent in the group I am looking at.

Any recommendations for other manufacturers? Again, I'm looking at keeping cost below $300, and below 34 oz total weight since that's the Moment's spec weight.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Just a quick reminder that if mosquitoes are not in the forecast you can leave the inner tent at home for a ~10 ounce reduction in weight. If heavy rains are in the forecast then I recommend keeping the inner for the "double-wall" separation and added protection of a bathtub floor.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Andrew,
    "I like the Contrail's design aesthetics, but I'm worried about functionality in high winds with pole support on only one far end."
    Valid concern, however it can work in the wind with a little help.
    I took these shots a few years ago to illustrate how side winds will affect the tent set up in a different way.
    This is the standard set up in the middle of a good wind gust (small branches were falling off the nearby trees) :
    Contrail not

and this is the Contrail with the tail dropped down and the rear strut, front guyline and side tie outs in place.
    Contrail full help
    I timed the shot to match the wind speed of the other one.
    Do keep in mind that the first set up would look nice and taut in lesser wind.
    In other words I didn't set it up to deform, the wind is doing that.
    The rear strut is available under Extras (I use a trekking pole for that) , for the front use a trekking pole or order the Vertical Support pole (under extras) MUCH stronger than the std LW version.
    BTW, because of your size (same as me) you can also use this more radical fix if more than an inch or two of snow is possible :
    Contrail wind 2

franco@tarptent

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Thanks Franco, excellent information. I appreciate it.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Maybe try a larger tarp and a netting inner tent?

Maybe a MLD Duomid with netting inner?

If you use guylines at the extra pole attachment points, then you don't really need the extra pole with the Moment.

I've had or currently own the following shelters:

Golite SL3 (modded with netting skirt attaching to floor w/ velcro)
    Scarp 2
    Hogback
    Moment (old single wall)
    BA Copper Spur UL1

That StratoSpire 1 looks like a good option with plenty of room and ventilation.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

I'm also considering the InnerNet. I already have and use a silnylon SoloMid. It's an excellent shelter as far as storm worthiness goes.

It's not so much that I don't like tarps, just that I hate bivy bags and bugs.

But with the InnerNet added I'll lose interior space, and together with the tarp will weigh nearly the same as the lighter TarpTents. So I'm considering other options.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

What do you hate about bivy bags, the confinement, condensation, or both? Would holding the netting away from the head area help with the confinement issue? An all-netting bivy with silnylon or cuben floor would resolve the condensation issue while protecting against bugs. Then, you'd have plenty of space under the tarp, unless there's a reason that space needs to be bug-free?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I'd vote for the SMD Lunar Solo. I greatly enjoyed mine, it was just a little too small for my 55lb dog and myself.

It comes in under budget and under weight. The single pole pyramid design is strong. And with the Lunar Solo, you can pack it however you want (no carbon fiber struts to deal with!)

Edit: for the same weight as the Moment, you could pack in a Lunar Solo and a separate solo tarp

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

It's mostly the condensation issues I have with bivys. An all net top bivy would probably provide adequate vent and acceptable bug protection, at least of my body if not the rest of my gear.

I've been looking at the Borah Gear Bug Bivy, seems to be the best value bivy around at only $70. With the long/wide side zip version (which I prefer to avoid insulation compression with a thick pad) it'll be around 7 oz. So total system weight would be 26 oz with 6 stakes for the SoloMid. (Figuring on using Groundhogs as that's what I already use.)

Total weight for the Contrail with 4 stakes would be 29.5 oz according to TarpTent specs.

(Does anyone know if the listed weight on TarpTent's website includes the stakes as well? I wonder because each tent is listed as provided with stakes.)

So, at least in this specific comparison, for only another 3.5 ounces I would have a fully functional vestibule and completely bug free living space.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

The tent weights include stakes, but keep in mind that seam sealing and maybe silicone strips on the floor will add a little (.5-1 oz?). And, some tents should be pitched with extra guylines and stakes for windy, open areas. From what I've heard, there's often a few ounce variability in listed weights too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My 1st Tarptent was a Contrail. Nice tent but not so good in winds. So I sold it and got the original Moment and loved it. Now I have the Moment DW with ripstop inner for 4 season backpacking/backcountry skiing.

Both Moment tents have been in very heavy windstorms and were very stable when guyed out at both sides and both ends. Also I added 4 fly hem stake loops and this helps too.

BTW, after the storms I checked the seams for stitching failures. All seams were always fine. Tarptents are VERY well made.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Thank for the input, Eric.

In your opinion, does adding the solid interior to a Moment DW make that much difference? I mean specifically for winter and the shoulder seasons. Obviously the all mesh interior would be better for venting in regular 3 season conditions.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Oh, that's easy. Take the best of both worlds combined offered by the zpacks hexamid solplex tent. Its a tarp-tent in ultimate form. I love mine. Its amazing. My friends refer to it as my trusty "waxed paper tent" but I'm the only one dry when it rains and everyone is always jealous. I cannot see myself using another shelter other than this any time in the near OR long term future. Get a colored thicker cuben upgrade if privacy is an issue or if a bright morning bothers you :)

http://zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml

edited for spelling

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Andrew,
    "does adding the solid interior to a Moment DW make that much difference?"

I am not Eric but have had the luxury of being able to compare TT shelters side by side although, sometime, in peculiar ways.
    When I seam seal a shelter I usually stripe the floor after I have done the fly, so it has happened ,on several occasions, that I have done one with a mesh inner and then one with a solid one. (not necessarily the same but similar shelter…)
    You can, within a minute or so , feel the difference.

Bud Chapman
    BPL Member

@budman5

Locale: Alaska

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/leans.htm

These shelters give great space to weight ratio..
    I love my Lean 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools