Topic

Cilogear Schoolbag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Cilogear Schoolbag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I got my second Cilogear last week, what Graham calls the "Schoolbag". Here in BPL land it makes for a very nice day-hiking pack and I bet many BPL members could fit a weekend kit into its 30 liters. It has many technical features of the larger bags such as dual tool-holders and a crampon pouch (on a schoolbag!), and of course the straps from the larger packs fit on this smaller model for external storage or compression.
    A few features I like are the removable frame/sitpad, a small zipper to access the inner pouch from the outside, thick wide shoulder straps for comfort, and its LOW weight (I'll have to post the weight when I get home..)

I was just packing it last night for a summit attempt on Fuji this weekend, and I figured out yet another strap configuration that allows me to lace up the pack like you would lace a shoe, compressing it down tight and compact; possible due to Graham's unique strapping/D-ring system.

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for his packs, but packs are my favorite category to play with; I've had dozens. Cilogear ranks up with Granite Gear as my favorites. These are not perfect, and coming from the assembly area in Turkey there are a few finishing touches you will need to take care of. Burn off some loose threads with a lighter, and maybe sew over the sternum strap-end if you dont want it to slide off the male end of the buckle.. If I were to be picky that effort could justify only 4 stars and not 5; but for me it was not a big deal.

If you don't want to make the financial commitment for a bigger Cilogear; drop 50 bucks on the Schoolbag it's really a 30 liter Weekend pack.
    Cilogear schoolbag

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

(why is this under internal frame packs? all it has is a stiff foam back pad…)

its a great bag. here's what i don't like so much – the shoulder straps are just a bit too narrow for my neck, but I got used to it fine. I'm not a huge fan of the clamshell type packs, or of zippers in general. the water bladder tube is really short. I just put the bladder down the pad sleeve.
    The slit for a hydration tube doesn't fit my bit valve through, so I just cut it longer and sewed up the raw edges.
    And… that's all I don't really like.
    good stuff I like
    dyneema gridstop is amazing stuff!
    the dee clip system is great
    it rides well for climbing, skiing, and biking
    it clips onto my Cilogear 60L – not that I'd ever want to carry all that…
    the crampon pocket is great for a water bottle or a wet coat

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools