Topic

Gear list — need help choosing pack to carry it

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear list — need help choosing pack to carry it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Blinn
    BPL Member

@daviebyrne

Locale: Bay Area

I've been eyeing the ULA Circuit and Catalyst, but I'm not sure which option will better suit my needs, based on what I already have. With that said, here is the gear I've been carrying so far:

http://lighterpack.com/r/b3dozw

This list doesn't include food or water. If I were planning to mostly go on 3-4 day hikes, with some possible 6-7 day hikes here and there, and possibly a thru hike somewhere down the line, would the Circuit or Catalyst better suit my needs?

I'm also open to any feedback on this list, seeing as it's my first list of this kind. Is there anything I should do without? Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you don't know how much pack volume you need, then it will all be guesswork.

Instead, get your gear together along with an approximation of food and water. Pack that into a cardboard box, and then measure the dimensions of the box. Now you know the approximate volume of your stuff, and you can begin to select a pack.

–B.G.–

Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

I just got off trail and headed back out. My Circuit carried 22 pounds including food with a BV 450. I have also used a BV500 in the Circuit but didn't need it for this trip. My weight did not include water. I believe that the Circuit can handle up to 25 pounds or slightly more. The Circuit forces you to limit a little bit of stuff, but is designed nicely and I find quite comfortable.
    When I bought it, I called ULA and told them that they were my last effort at anything other than an old fashioned metal framed pack. I am short and frameless packs have always killed me.
    They fitted me well and listened well, and I am very happy.
    If you absolutely need more stuff then go for the larger pack, but I was hiking above 10,000 feet for about a week and was quite comfortable. Had everything I really needed.

Good luck. I encourage you to try Circuit.

Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

I just looked at you list again, and I don't know the dimensions of the tarptent Rainbow. But that would be somewhat of a significant factor possibly.

But your base weight is similar to mine. within a couple of ounces

David Blinn
    BPL Member

@daviebyrne

Thanks a lot for both of your insight. I am still sort of on the fence. On one hand, the Catalyst would be more versatile in allowing me to carry heavier loads on longer treks and thru hikes, but the Circuit would force me to cut down on what I bring (which could be a good thing or a bad thing). I think I will be able to fit the Double Rainbow in the Circuit, especially because I usually hike with my girlfriend, who I split gear with. If I put the pole in one of the side pockets, the tent itself should compress.

One question I have for anyone who has owned a Catalyst is how it handles smaller loads. Does it compress down well? Say I was carrying a load of 30 lbs with a Catalyst, including consumables — would I be wishing I had a Circuit instead, or would the Catalyst still feel pretty light on my back? Is 30 lbs a good weight for the Circuit, or would that be testing its limits?

Such a tough decision for something I can't try before I buy!

David Blinn
    BPL Member

@daviebyrne

Sorry, forgot to include this in my last post, but how did you fit your BV 500 in your Circuit? How much space did you have after you packed it?

Michael Pelissari
    Spectator

@pelissarim

Locale: New England

I actually just bought a Circuit and based on the total weight you gave in your link of 21lbs, that would be perfect. The ULA can handle up to 35lbs at max, but the ideal weight is around 20$ and 25-30lbs if you include your water and food as the weight will lesson over time. Give Chris a call at ULA he is pretty nice.

Duane Bindschadler
    BPL Member

@dlbvenice

Locale: Venice

David:

Given the gear you posted, you should fit into most packs of 50L capacity or more. So the ULA Ohm should also work, as would the zpacks Arc Blast, Gossamer Gear Mariposa (GG Gorilla might just fit your gear), Six Moons Design Fusion (these are new this year – don't know much about them).

I did notice you didn't include the BearVault 500 in your list – if you plan to use that regularly then you might need to be at 60 L or more. I know that the Mariposa will fit it, but am not familiar enough with the others.

David Blinn
    BPL Member

@daviebyrne

Despite leaning toward the Catalyst a few days ago, I ended up ordering the Circuit last night after reading all your responses and talking briefly with Chris. It shipped this morning and I'm excited to try it out! Hoping I got the right size — I'm exactly between the medium and large, and Chris suggested I size up. Fingers crossed it works out. Thanks, everyone!

Michael Pelissari
    Spectator

@pelissarim

Locale: New England

David, your going to realize when you get the pack how bloody wonderful and high quality the product is. It wasnt quite what I wanted when I got it, but I tried it on and adjusted it and it felt really comfy and little to no weight was on my shoulders.

So with that I decided to keep the pack and change just about all my gear to all lighter stuff to stay within the packs weight carrying capacity..

David Blinn
    BPL Member

@daviebyrne

Yep, those were my thoughts exactly. I figured that going with the Circuit will force me to get my weight down, whereas the Catalyst would tempt me to bring things I don't need. I'm not trying to turn into a minimalist by any means, but the Circuit will definitely help me pack more mindfully.

Russ Maynard
    Spectator

@russmay

Locale: Central California

I have about a dozen different packs in my life from wood frame, external frame and no frame modern day packs. I'll have to say the Ula Circuit is the most comfortable pack I have ever carried.It rides well on the hips and if loaded right transfers weight like a pake should. My only complaint is the 40 oz thing. But If you are going to carry for multiple days its the way to go. I recently upgraded to the Zpacks arc blast and this would be my second choice for you.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I recently got an Ohm 2.0 and think ULA makes great carrying packs. Very easy to live out off and has everything I need, and nothing I don't.
    I think you will love the Circuit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools