Topic

New Tarp User Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Tarp User Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schenck

@ischenck

Locale: Southern California

I recently purchased a Granite Gear White Lightnin 10×10 tarp, and I am planning on taking it out on an overnighter next week. I have been messing around with it all week, setting up in parks by my house, and I am kind of surprised by how much space it seems to need needs. With guylines, I measured it to be around 14×22 feet. I am taking on a trip in the Hunter Fryingpan Wilderness by Aspen, and am worried about finding enough space to set it up. To calm my fears, I am planning on bringing my regular tent as well, but I really don't want to carry the extra weight. Can anyone chime in on setting this tarp up with a smaller footprint, or any other information a first time tarp user can tell me? Do you think it is a good idea to bring my tent as well, or should I just commit?

toccs rerennihcs
    BPL Member

@drembo

Locale: western slope Sierra Nevada

if you pitch the tarp in an a frame, the width with guy lines wouldn't be any greater that 10 feet. The guy lines front and back can be anywhere from 3 feet to 8 feet out from the end of the tarp, or tie those to a tree if you can, or whatever worthy shrub you can find. If you pitch it with the "storm pitch", the back of the tarp is staked to the ground, so you only would need to have an extended guy line from the front of the tarp.
    Tarps are fun, every pitch is different, you get to use your noggin. Tie your guy lines to rocks if necessary.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I don't understand, how does it require 14×22 feet?

Without long guy lines it won't take up more than 10 feet in either direction.

I usually pin my tarp directly to the ground without guy lines in an A-frame.

You can make the guy lines as long as you want depending on the setup. You can do low to the ground or make it a high canopy (requiring more guy line).

Are you bringing poles or pitching off trees?

I have tarp camped in some pretty dense forests choked with brush and while the footprint is slightly larger than a tent, it's usually not a problem.

I mostly pitch off trees, but sometimes it can be hard to find 2 nicely space trees with flat ground in between them when you are in a hurry and rushing, so some poles help for that. Or you could carry one pole and use that while pitching off the other side off a tree, as finding one tree with flat ground next to it is easier than finding 2 trees with flat ground between them – but not necessary at all, pitching off trees works just fine in forests.

If the weather is nice when you get into camp, take some time to practice with the tarp. Do different set ups and be creative. Try improvising stakes with sticks or rocks. It's all about practicing with it.

The A-frame is a tried and true set up that is easy. I also like a lean-to set up for roominess in fair weather.

Ian Schenck

@ischenck

Ok thanks for the information. I was using 6 ft guylines in the ends of the tarp, but I can shorten it. I will also try the storm pitch and some other options before I head out. Thanks for the info!

Ian Schenck

@ischenck

14×22 included the length between guylines, not the tarp itself, so I guess that isn't a really accurate measurement.

I have yet to try it without the guylines on the sides, so I will try that as well. I am using my hiking poles, but I will also practice with trees for a situation that might require them.

Both of you have been really helpful! I'm new to BPL, and its great to get advice from more experienced individuals.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you have any more questions just ask.

As long as you know how to put up an a-frame, you are safe to commit to a tarp.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You could take a look here :
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/tarp/TarpShel.htm
    and or just type "square tarp configuration" in Google images, find one that you like and click on that image…

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tarp_camping_inclement_conditions.html#.U-TTX0g2lsM

For members; this is a pretty good way to rig guylines as a rule of thumb and then develop your own strategy from there. Plenty of tips here and in the forum/comments section as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools