Topic

Bear Can Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Can Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Planning a PCT thru, I'm looking for advice on two person bear canisters. Would it be more convenient to carry one each (2 total) or one large can?

Tia,

Kelly

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

pitty the one who would carry the can for two as the food is by far the heaviest item :)

billy

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

That would be yours truly. She can carry some of my stuff to make up for it ;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You get better weight efficiency with one huge canister as compared to two small canisters. But then you have to divide your other gear up radically if you carry only the one huge canister.

We used to use the rule that everybody had to carry an equal share of gear weight. It is just that some are more equal than others.

Some backpacks are not large enough to accept a huge bear canister. That may limit you to small bear canisters that fit smaller backpacks.

You can't win. But you can try to play for a tie.

–B.G.–

Luke Cobrae

@flocktothewall

Locale: So Cal

My wife and I share a BV500. I get the brunt of the load, she gets the tent, poles and stakes, water filter, and toiletries. That adds a total of about 6 lbs, whereas I carry the canister, which depending on food can range from 6-10lbs. If it were another dude, I'd pile more on him.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

A single long Bearikade is MUCH lighter than two short Bearikades, because most of the weight is in the aluminium end pieces, the carbon fiber cylinder weighs very little.

e.g.
    1 x 16-inch (1000cc) weighs 38.6 oz
    2 x 8-inch (500cc) weighs 55.4 oz

http://www.wild-ideas.net/custom-bearikades/

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

And you can rent them if that works better for you. :^)

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think we'll go with one big can.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools