Topic

Fishing in Three Sisters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Fishing in Three Sisters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

Hi,

I will be backpacking in Three Sisters OR on a 7 day trip with a group of Scouts in about 2 weeks. Our original intent was to do the classic loop around the 3 mountains, but from the research that we've done, I'm getting the impression that the fishing is not very good in the lakes and streams along that route? We would like to be able to do a little fishing during the trip.

As another option, we are considering starting at the lakes to the South (possibly Blow and Doris Lakes) and working our way North past Horse Lake and Sisters Mirror Lake to rejoin the PCT and continue the loop counter-clockwise. I understand that the fishing is better in this area? We might then abbreviate the full loop by taking the cut-through between Middle and South Sister and just doing the Southern half.

We've never been to the area, so any feedback on the fishing and trail choices would be greatly appreciated. Would we regret not doing the Northern half of the loop?

FYI: We are flying in and out of Portland

Thanks,
    Vince

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've done the cut-through route between Middle and South Sisters. I like that scenery better than the rest of the loop. A bit tricky finding route which makes it more interesting to me.

Don't know about fishing.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

FYI:

If you attempt to find the cut through between the south and middle sister from the Western side, be advised that Green Trails lies and will leave you stumbling around in a meadow.
    Find that little pond and the trail is through the trees just to the East of said pond.

Excellent hike, enjoy.
    ]

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

trail sort of branches out so several possible routes. I now have to check out trees East of pond : )

I think it's easiest to just go about 100 feet South of Seperation Creek. There's no obvious trail right at PCT, but after you go a couple hundred feet, a trail becomes obvious.

Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

Thanks for your suggestions. One advantage to doing the full loop and starting at Lava Camp TH is that it appears to be about an hour lees driving from Portland vs. trailheads on the Southern end of the Wilderness. Is that about right?

I read a brief report about Brook Trout being caught in Park Meadow.

We have 5 full days to hike and 2 half days on either end of the trip. Would this give us enough time to do the whole loop, summit S. Sister, and do a day hike to the lakes in search of fish? I see that the loop is reported to be anywhere from 42 to 58 miles. I guess I'll have to add up all the mileage #s on the map to confirm the actual mileage.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I always start at Lava Camp TH because it's closest to Portland. 48 miles around the mountain including the Lava Camp leg out and back. According to GPS tracks.

You could start at the Pole Creek trailhead and the driving distance from Portland is almost identical. To get to Lava Camp you have to go through Sisters. On the way up to McKenzie Pass is the road to Pole Creek. Then, it's 45 miles around the mountain including the Pole Creek trail leg out and back.

Another 3.5 miles and 3500 feet elevation up to South Sister. Lots of loose scree to walk over when the snow has melted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools