Topic

2 person Double Wall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 person Double Wall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Jones
    Spectator

@texasron

Locale: Texas

First post, LONG time lurker. What pulled me out of the woodwork was an upcoming trip with my wife to Colorado. NEXT august we will be taking a 4 day trip to the Lost Creek Wilderness. I Have camped and backpacked for years using a hammock. My wife is not too keen on the idea of separate sleeping quarters so I've been researching double wall lightweight shelters.

I get ONE shot at this if I want her to keep coming with me (I do). All my previous outings have been solo, it will be nice to share experiences with my wife.

I'm leaning towards a Tarptent Stratospire2. A Six Moons NetHaven with Tarp, or a Lightheart Duo. (Zpacks maybe?)

Can you please talk me into or out of one of them? Any other suggestions

Hammocks are so much easier :-)

Thanks everyone.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Stratospire has a lot of room for the weight.

She will like that room but first you have to show her tents (most other 2 p) that are smaller. Then she will appreciate the Stratospire.

Re. "Sneaky"
    Ron, my tent comparison strategy is sorta the same thing as when she dated all those other guys before you that didn't "measure up". And then she found you who, by comparison, is such a catch. Hee, hee (Just keep her convinced that she was right.)
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

Ronald Jones
    Spectator

@texasron

Thats pretty sneaky. I like it :-)

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

I have owned the stratosphere 2… It is a luxurious palace for two. It has a large footprint and a little finicky to set up (silnylon stretches). It is a fantastic tent and encouraged my significant other to come out on trips.

With that said, I now own a zpacks duplex. It is longer but narrower then the stratosphere but a lot less finicky. It is extremely simple to set up and does not stretch. It also ways less then half the weight.

If money is not an issue go with cuben. I have heard good things about the haven tarp in cuben. And I can't reccomend zpacks enough. They do make double wall set ups I believe.

That's my two cents.

Edit…. The duplex is single wall.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Definitely check out Big Sky International Tents. High quality, ease of setup, with different weight fabric choices, and come seam sealed.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Tarptent Stratospire finicky set up …
    it doesn't have to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM

It is very simple then to keep it taut after that, by using the Pitch Loc corner tie-outs and or lifting the pole height.
    franco@tarptent

Ronald Jones
    Spectator

@texasron

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty set on a double wall. If it was just me I would go with my Hammock and be comfy.
    I like the space on the Tarptent. I do like Zpacks, have a quilt and pack by Joe that are awesome.

Big Skys reputation scares me off of them.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

That's what I mean Franco. Duplex has no linelocs, and rarely needs adjustment. Just stake it out and sleep.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

My wife and I bought one in the Spring of 2014, and we love it. It takes much less time to set up than any other tent we have owned, and is very roomy. When it's raining, we even are able to bring our packs in with us and still have plenty of room. Don't pitch it like Henry Shires shows in his video (he puts the hiking poles in first, then stakes the corners), instead pitch it by staking the corners first and then putting the hiking poles in their spots. We found that to work much better.

PS I like the strategy above. We have a BA Jack Rabbit 2 which is a very nice and light tent for the price, but is like being in a cocoon compared to the SS2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools