Topic

Non-Toxic Adhesive for DIY Sawyer Squeeze Adaptor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Non-Toxic Adhesive for DIY Sawyer Squeeze Adaptor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mac Dawson
    Spectator

@mczeeman

Locale: Canadian Prairies

Naturally, the 1st gen bags that came with my Sawyer Squeeze have ruptured. I then bought a 2L Platybottle in hopes that it would fit the filter, but it doesn't seal properly (forum research would have told me this). Now, I don't mind having the Platybottle, so that isn't money lost, but before I drop $30+ on ordering Evernew or other bags that fit the Sawyer (I'm up in Saskatoon…Canada) I want to try making an adaptor.

The idea:
    1. Remove the plastic neck with compatible threading from ruptured Sawyer bag.
    2. Bond the Sawyer bag neck to the lid of the Platybottle.
    3. Drill a hole in the Platybottle lid.

Ideally, I could now screw the Platybottle onto the filter in a properly sealed fashion.

My plan breaks down at step 2. I have no clue what kind of adhesive/caulk/glue wouldn't leak any toxic properties into the water over time. I figured I'd ask here before I make a fool of myself at Canadian Tire, Home Depot, and make handymen everywhere facepalm.

I am wary of how effective it would be to melt the base of the neck, then press it onto the Platybottle lid.

Any suggestions?

-Mac

Al Baran
    BPL Member

@fishbone

Locale: Mid-South

get a "Tornado Tube" (google it); cut it to size to fit the filter, smooth the edges. I use one with the Sawyer filter and platy canteens; no problem.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

I used PVC water pipe glue from the hardware store worked great and doesn't leak,

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

You could use a pre-filter off a Frontier pro filter if you cut off the hose nipple on the filter. I did this and Plady bag work great you also get a pre-filter for your sawyer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools