Topic

Esbit + Fosters Pot Boil Times

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Esbit + Fosters Pot Boil Times

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I made my first MYOG Stove! I used Brian Green's stove design (except with aluminum versus titanium) and borrowed heavily from Howard Johnson's windscreen/pot stand design.

Brian Green's Stove – http://briangreen.net/2011/11/titanium-foil-esbit-tray-stove.html

Howard Johnson's Windscreen – http://www.howardjohnson.name/Backpacking/Stove/Howards_Esbit_Stove_3.0.html

It took 7:30 and about 3/4 of a tab to bring cool water to a rolling boil under breezy but otherwise ideal conditions. The pot is a regular (aka not flat bottomed) Fosters pot. Is this good or bad? I am having trouble finding boil times for the regular bottom Fosters so I thought I would ask the experts. I think it might need more vent holes around the base (I skipped the area where the sides overlap) but I wanted to get some feedback before doing anything I can't undo.

Here are some pictures.

The whole set up.In actionThis reusable cat food container lid seals tight and works great

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might state the weight of this project and then ditch the hideous yellow lid.

–B.G.–

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Whoops, I put the weight in what I thought was a caption for the picture but it didn't show up. The whole setup minus the stakes (which are part of my shelter) weighs 2.7 ounces.

No love for the lid, eh? It is a cat food can cover I picked up at the local Pet Store. It forms a tight seal around the top and allows me to pour without needing to hold it on. The pour spout works great, I haven't tested the strainer yet.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I have much love for the lid! You need to incorporate it into your trail name somehow :)

Assuming you boiled 16 oz with only 3/4 tablet, I wouldn't change a thing. That's pretty good time and you'll have a bit of esbit left over to add to future boils, if you like.

Fun, huh?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I think your boil time is the same a Caldera Cone.

I like the lid. Bob is a dog lover. They make the lids for dog food also :-)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That is a pretty quick boil time, Brendan. Like Dan mentioned, pretty close to what a caldera cone would do. A question–would you please measure the distance from the top of the Esbit tab to the top of the pot supports/stakes (which would be the distance from the tab to pot bottom)? There seems to be quite a variance among different Esbit stoves and users. I've read that the optimal distance is between 1.25" and 1.75", and I'd like to know what yours is to make it so efficient.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Thanks for the feedback and the moral support on my Kitty Cat lid!

After combing through BPL forums and the internet I figured 1.75 inches was the ideal height. Since the bottom of the majority of the can is recessed by .25 I set the supports at 1.50.

Having never lit an Esbit tab before I made sure it was really burning before I put the stove on and started the timer, I don't know if that is cheating? If it is I could do another test boil.

And yes Todd, it is fun! I've already got a couple more projects in the works.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If you want to compare apples and apples, you need to know the starting temp of your water (I always start with 45°F water), and your boiling point (195°F for me at 7600'), and the quantity of water.

Then, with a little math, any stove can be compared to any other stove.

Not saying you have to, just saying if you want to …

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Thnaks for taking the time to measure it, Brendan. 1.5" inches is how I calibrate my own stoves. Also, Greg is right on–altitude and water temperature enter into this as well. You are well on your way to being an Esbit stove geek. Welcome to the -BG- club!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools