Topic

ULA Equipment P-1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews ULA Equipment P-1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

This internal semi-frame pack is the cat’s meow for loads into the 25-30 lb. range (I’ve never needed to carry more– so I haven’t encountered it’s upper limit).
    Made by a small cottage firm good enough to allow one multiple options, you obtain a semi-custom pack that is well under 2 lbs. fully tricked out and robust enough to use for off-trail activities. A super option is the belt mounted pockets for camera, 1st aid kit, lots of energy bars, you name it. Capacious and comfortable for a week’s journey or thru packing the PCT. Overkill for an overnight.

Because this pack is made of more robust materials than many UL packs in it’s class,it weighs a bit more–but you won’t have to baby it around granite or the occasional manzanita thicket. The pack also has the ability to be very capacious which is nice for both thru-packing and using the pack in winter.

Between the 1/4 length framesheet and using a z-rest(I use a cut down one) or similar pad,most people will find that this gives ample support and will not miss full length framestays.

In sum, this is an ideal pack for the trail hiker who also likes to explore off trail and provide long service w/o blowing out. A great blend of capacity, toughness,comfort and minimal weight.

It fully deserves the full 5 ( well, 4.9 anyway).

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

I live and tramp in NZ (Americans call it hiking) I feel tramping is between hiking and mountaineering. I’ve been tramping for 40 years and always been loyal to our traditional “bullet proof” gear. This is made by Macpac and Fairydown in NZ and exported world wide – great gear, but heavy. Two years ago I moved into UL gear (getting older!). The first to go was my Macpac 70 litre Glissade pack. A wonderful pack, but at 2.75 Kgs I could slash 2kgs in one move. After a hell of a lot of research, I chose the ULA P1. This pack is fantastic. Now I have gone UL I don’t need 70 litres. My last big tru tramp with the P1 (40 litres) had 13kgs for 11 days including tent (Tarp tent). It performed wonderfully. Although I don’t thing it will stand up to heavy NZ bush bashing for long. But who cares, at the price I can just buy another one. All my tramping mate are having second thoughts.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

I’ve used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply.

I like the side pockets a lot. I’d like them better (and give this pack a 5/5 if you could more easily get into them with the pack on. That and inventing a new way to carry a hydration bladder (I don’t like most hydration sleeves because you usually need to almost completely unpack to refill the bladder) comfortably would make a perfect pack.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

The previous reviews cover this pack well. I’ve carried 12-22 pound loads on 3 trips so far. It is so comfortable that it’s easy to forget that I’m wearing the pack.

I too would like to see a little easier access to the side pockets while wearing the pack. Maybe, I could adjust my style to use the H20 bottle holsters.

I love the hipbelt pockets. Excellent feature. Very comfortable hipbelt.

The load lifters work very well in a nearly frameless pack. The 1/4 framesheet helps keep the top of the pack from collapsing toward the middle of your back.

My only nit is that the ULA website led me to think the pack would be about 1/2 pound lighter.

The P-1 an excellent lightweight backpack.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have owned a P-1 for six months now (and a P-2 for 3 years) and have come to really enjoy the qualities that make this pack a great weeklong hauler. The 1/4 length stays work well in making your pack a little more adjustable. The material used on the shoulder straps, and hip belt work well in wicking away any sweat. Of course having hipbelt pockets are a must and since this is a ULA pack you can get them. Two concerns that I do have are the hydration bladder conflicting with the sleeping pad for frrame support and not having the stays go all the way down the length of the pack ala the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. With the weight of this pack, they could have kept the weight down and would have been able to add two full aluminum stays. Also The Gossamer Gear Mariposa has an outside sleeping pad holder which I wish the P-1 had. These are just small nit picks and for the money it is a fantastic pack and one of my favorites. Hauls weight well. Well built. Nice design, and just nice to look at.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools