Topic

Using Pack IT Gourmet meals past the use by dates.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Using Pack IT Gourmet meals past the use by dates.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Folks,

I have some Pack It Gourmet meals that are between 3-6 months past their use by dates, I called Pack IT and they said they should be fine to
    Eat once stored in a cool dry place.

Just wanted to hear what Bpl folk think about whether to bring these on trips over the summer or to just replace them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you know that most plastic or foil and plastic packages are not really intended for long-term storage. That's why they tend to have use by date of a year out, or possibly two years at the very most.

A #10 metal can is different. You can get food sealed that way, and it is almost good forever. Several months ago I opened a can of freeze dried egg powder and have eaten some of it. I don't know exactly how old it is, but I know that I purchased it in a store in 1980.

–B.G.–

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

I came across a very good sale on mountain house meals and bought a lot. The ones with a clear bag inside the foil pouch. Anyway by the time I used them up some were a couple years (2+) passed the expire date. They took alot longer to rehydrate, some stayed crunchy but still tasted fine. I didn't get sick.
    ymmv

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will try one at home and see how it works out :-)

My next post may be from the loo ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

They should be fine. As long as they were sealed they have been in a controlled environment. And once opened, just give it the sniff test. Dried food lasts a lot longer than one thinks it would.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Sarah :-)

The sniff test sounds like a good idea.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Scientific. I swear ;-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

use by date is more about how the food appears, or nutrition

not whether it's safe to eat

so if you don't mind eating it, it should be okay

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Sarah,

It does sound like a scientific test indeed :-)

Hi Jerry,

That's good to know.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

As Jerry said the "Use by dates" are not about safety. There are only two foods in the US that the FDA requires a "Use by date", baby formula and baby food. All others are at the discretion of the manufacturer. It really is a great marketing tool for the manufacturer because so many people are afraid to use after the date and throwout perfectly good food and then buy more. The Army ran an ad campaign to convince the wives living on bases to stop throwing out past date food.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

YouTube video

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I had some of the tortilla soup yesterday for lunch while I was working out some kinks with my cookset at home. It expired May 2013. I'm still here…not sick…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

All very good info.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools