Topic

Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Bench Lake via Taboose Pass-KCNP 6/9-12

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Bench Lake has been on my list for many years, and since the shortest way by far to access it is via rugged Taboose Pass I figured I'd best get on with it while I still had my legs. The low snow year also made it feasible to do the trip early, thereby providing an opportunity to give my friend, Dave, who has been exiled to Michigan due to a wifely career move, a proper sendoff before his departure in July. He picked me up at Los Angeles International Airport on the 7th and we headed straight for Lone Pine, where we laid over for a day to acclimatize a bit and let me rest up from the flight and airport stress, a habit I have grown accustomed to as I get on in years.

Day 1

We got off to a reasonably early start and hit the trail at 6:30 AM. However, even that was about an hour late. The sun was clearing the Inyo Mountains ridgeline as we started hiking, and we faced a hot slog across about 1.5 miles of flat sagebrush scrub before we started climbing. By the time we reached the first crossing of Taboose Creek at 8100', the heat was beginning to take its toll, and we both knew we were in for a long day. Taboose Pass is a real hump under the best of circumstances, with an elevation gain of just under 6000', most of it in the last 6 miles, and we had put ourselves behind the eight ball by not starting at least an hour earlier. We were both feeling it by the time we crossed Taboose Creek for the second time at 9100', and the fun was just beginning. From that point on, the Taboose Pass trail turns into one of the roughest trail hikes I have ever done. There are no decent places to bivy after crossing the creek and it was still too early to stop in any case, given the heat and lack of shade, so we decided to push on over the pass to an excellent bivy site I had used previously. We proceeded at an ever slower pace but eventually cleared the pass around 4 PM, thankful that we were finally going downhill over gentle terrain with magnificent views of Cirque Crest unfolding before us. About an hour later we were settling in at an excellent campsite, thankful to have an arduous day behind us with only four miles remaining to Bench Lake the next morning.

day 1/1

day1/2

day1/4

day1/6

day1/7

day1/9

day1/10

day1/12

Over Taboose Pass at last

day1/17

day1/18

day1/19

Day 2

We rose late and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, knowing we had only 4 easy miles ahead of us. The hike was relaxed and uneventful, with frequent breaks to enjoy the expansive views and admire the abundant wild flowers along the way. When we went over the maps prior to our trip, we had pretty much settled on looking for a campsite at one of the two lake chains to the southeast and southwest of Bench Lake, with a preliminary bias in favor of the southwestern one as being the remoter of the two. However, the presence of a set of fresh, very large bear tracks on the side trail to Bench Lake decided the issue for us. We immediately headed up the stream leading to the southeastern lakes, which turned out to be a great decision all around. Not only was it a delightful hike up the outlet stream, but we found a nearly perfect campsite perched on a bench above a small lake, affording magnificent views of Cirque Crest and Upper Basin. It was also far away from the established campsites along Bench Lake, where the bear had likely been headed. We were still a little tired from yesterday's push over Taboose Pass, so we spent the rest of the day just hanging out and exploring the immediate environment of our campsite. Toward evening, the sky filled horizon to horizon with ominous clouds, and we were soon treated to a classic Sierra thunderstorm with all the trimmings, including a generous helping of graupel, followed by a torrential downpour that lasted a good hour or so. All in all a most entertaining performance.

This bear was wearing size 14 DDD's

day2/80

day2/22

day2/29

day2/30

Day 3

We awoke feeling rested and ready to do a little exploring. We had decided the previous evening to hike over to the southwest lake chain directly beneath Arrow Peak. The route seemed fairly obvious, traverse the talus lined south shore of Bench Lake and then contour along the slope at the base of Mt Ickes' north ridge until we intersected the outlet stream below the middle lake in the chain. Aside from the talus, which was rather tedious, it was a very enjoyable hike over easy, mixed terrain, and eventually we found a faint climbers path with frequent cairns that confirmed our route selection. The cirque below Arrow Peak is well worth the effort, one of those seldom visited little gems that are for all practical purposes untouched. A few climbers come and go, but they have left no visible trace, and we were deeply gratified to be able to spend a couple hours there admiring the tranquil beauty of the place. Dave had it in his mind to take a different, lower route on the return leg, and I couldn't think of any good reason to object, so we did. In the event, we would have been better off retracing our steps, as we encountered numerous cliff bands and a lot of blow down, but that is in the nature of exploring, and it was all good fun. It was late afternoon by the time we got back to camp, well satisfied with the day's effort.

Morning in camp

day3/34

Along the south shore of Bench Lake

Fisher folk take note: Bench Lake is crawling with fish. We saw them all along the south shore, where the water deepens fast. One particularly deep depression must have had 50-60 fish schooled up, and a lot of them were in the 12-14" range. If any of you who fish ever end up there, and don't mind a little talus walking, the south shore is the place to go.

day3/36

day3/37

day3/43

Lake basin southwest of Bench Lake

day3/48

day3/52

day3/55

day3/59

day3/60

Sunset back at camp

day3/70

day3/71

day3/75

day3/76

Day 4

We got off to another of our late starts, intending to only hike back to our first night's bivy and then explore the lake basin just above it. However, when we arrived it was only 11 AM, and I didn't particularly want to spend the rest of the day there again for just an hour's worth of poking around in a small basin. So, I lobbied Dave to keep on truckin', dangling the carrot of a hot shower and meal, accompanied by some durn cold IPA's. He was reluctant but, after giving it some thought, conceded the idea had merit, so off we went. Descending Taboose Pass is almost as tough as ascending it, and we both knew we were in for a challenging afternoon. The upper 2 miles in particular require a lot of concentration, with numerous opportunities to take a fall that would very likely scuff one up pretty good. The rest of it is just putting one foot in front of another and toughing it out. Heat can be a real problem as you descend, but we were blessed with a cool wind flowing over the pass from the high country to the west. It followed us all the way down and spared us that particular unpleasantness. We made it back to the car by 6:00 PM, exhausted but elated, and were back in Lone Pine in plenty of time for that shower, dinner, and beer. It had been another memorable trip to add to our shared list going back some 30 odd years. In hindsight, though, I think both of us would agree it might have been better to stop at our first bivy sight on day 4 to explore the small lake basin, and leave the descent of the Taboose Pass for day 5. Yes, we did it without incident, but it left us both exhausted for days afterward. Perhaps not the best outcome for a couple of old geezers. We have since agreed that in future we shall try to act a little more our age. ;0)

day4/83

day4/85

day4/88

day4/89

day4/tk-dr

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Walked right on by the trail to Taboose Pass and Bench Lake. I'd heard Bench lake is nice. It is very nice, and BIG! Thanks for posting these pictures.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Walked right on by the trail to Taboose Pass and Bench Lake. I'd heard Bench lake is nice. It is very nice, and BIG!"

Bench Lake is indeed big and beautiful, and just an easy 1/2 hour walk off the JMT. But unless you are already on the JMT for some other reason, it is a long way from anywhere, except if you go in over Taboose Pass. This means it doesn't get a lot of traffic. We had the whole area to ourselves, except for the bear, and I would guess that it's that way most of the time. It would make a great place for a JMT hiker to camp for the night or lay over for a rest day. I hope you get back there some time, Piper. You won't regret it.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Great trip report!
    Late Sept. last year after coming across Frozen Lake Pass on the SHR we found ourselves back on the JMT and heading south to an exit at Kearsage. Ahead of schedule at the Bench Lake turnoff we went in for a night. It was gorgeous. We had the whole area to ourselves it seemed. Weather was coming in so we optimized campsite search and selection for the most sheltered and I didn't leave there with the impression your photos give. Either way a very cool secluded spot. Would def. make a trip in there again if I was in the area. I read The Last Season right afterwards and it made that much more sense.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

looks beatiful! I will have to visit Bench lake sometime…gorgeous pictures!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for sharing your report and photos. Looks like a must-visit place for any lover of the High Sierra. You seem to get out to some great places, Tom.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for your tr and beautiful photos Tom! I especially like the second one taken from the southern shore of Bench Lake looking toward the Cirque Crest.

That chain of lakes to the southeast of Bench Lakes looks like a fun place to explore and get some solitude, while still so close to the JMT. It makes me grateful that most people typically stay on well worn trails, leaving so many hidden gems available to those of us willing to do a little cross country exploration.

I got hit by a similar late afternoon thunderstorm in 2011 while hiking by the chain of lakes to the east of your camp. I didn't have the foresight or time to setup a shelter and was forced to hunker down by a clump of small trees/large shrubs. The sound of the thunder bouncing off the surrounding peaks was intense but it passed quickly and the clouds made for an amazing sunset.

Thanx again! Andy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Late Sept. last year after coming across Frozen Lake Pass on the SHR we found ourselves back on the JMT and heading south to an exit at Kearsage. Ahead of schedule at the Bench Lake turnoff we went in for a night. It was gorgeous. We had the whole area to ourselves it seemed. Weather was coming in so we optimized campsite search and selection for the most sheltered and I didn't leave there with the impression your photos give. Either way a very cool secluded spot. Would def. make a trip in there again if I was in the area."

We were in the same situation the last 2 years coming out of Lake Basin over Cartridge Pass, but were right on schedule and so didn't have time to check out the Bench Lake area. We decided to make it a destination of its own because the area looked like it had a lot to offer, but that meant going in over Taboose Pass. Don't know as I'd do it again at my age, but it sure was worth it on a one time basis. The way you did it makes a lot more sense, if you allow an extra day or two to hike around and explore the surrounding area.

"I read The Last Season right afterwards and it made that much more sense."

I read it a couple years ago, and got a chill down my back when I came to the part where they found Randy's remains in the inlet stream to the unnamed lake southeast of Window Peak. I got into that lake back in the early 80's and spent a morning fishing where the stream flowed into the lake, only a few yards downstream from where they found what was left of him. Small world.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I will have to visit Bench lake sometime…"

I hope you do, allen. You won't be disappointed. Guaranteed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" You seem to get out to some great places, Tom."

Part luck, and part a nose for solitude I guess.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I got hit by a similar late afternoon thunderstorm in 2011 while hiking by the chain of lakes to the east of your camp. I didn't have the foresight or time to setup a shelter and was forced to hunker down by a clump of small trees/large shrubs. The sound of the thunder bouncing off the surrounding peaks was intense but it passed quickly and the clouds made for an amazing sunset."

Those situations can be pretty intense, but they make for great memories after the fear subsides. Some of John Muir's finest moments are said to have been up on the ridges laughing at the thunder and lightning all around him. He's was a braver, or crazier, man than I ever could be. I'm more like you, inclined to hunker down and hope it's not my day to get turned into a Krispy Kritter.

"That chain of lakes to the southeast of Bench Lakes looks like a fun place to explore and get some solitude, while still so close to the JMT. It makes me grateful that most people typically stay on well worn trails, leaving so many hidden gems available to those of us willing to do a little cross country exploration."

The chain to the southwest is even more so, IMO. When we first set out, I had it in mind to get up to Arrow Pass to check it out as an exit route for a trip later this year, but Taboose Pass took enough out of me that I backed off. For now. Believe it or not, I thought of you while I was there. That area is made for a guy like you to do some nosing around in.

Here's to well worn trails. ;0)

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great pics Tom. I hope to hike as much as you do when I'm your age. I've been past the Bench Lake turnoff a bunch of times, but have never made the side trip. I'm planning on fixing that and going over to the Window Peak drainage sometime this summer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Great pics Tom. I hope to hike as much as you do when I'm your age. I've been past the Bench Lake turnoff a bunch of times, but have never made the side trip. I'm planning on fixing that and going over to the Window Peak drainage sometime this summer."

Thanks, Andrew. Given what you're doing these days, I have no doubt you'll be carrying on the tradition well into your 70's. Arrow Ridge has a number of interesting possibilities, at least 2 of which involve Bench Lake. It's all beautiful up there, so no matter what route you decide to do you're going to have a heck of a good time. I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Beautiful Tom. Wish I could be out there with you this summer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"
    Wish I could be out there with you this summer."

Me, too, Craig. Me, too. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools