Topic

Light, relatively cheap, small wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Light, relatively cheap, small wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Could use some feedback on this idea. Concept: Create a conical wood stove out of a combo of aluminium flashing (or similar material), carbonized fiber/carbon felt/graphite felt and titanium foil.

Obviously aluminum does not have high enough heat resistance or strength to make a wood stove out of it, however its light and cheap. Possible fix. Use aluminum as the outer, carbon felt, graphite felt or carbonized fiber then sandwiched between titanium foil. Connected by screws or the like.

Pipe: not sure on this one. Perhaps titanium foil? Perhaps .004–2 oz per foot stainless steel? Since this would go in a small tent, the pipe would only need to be around 3-4 ft tall (the stove itself would be around 18 inches tall).

I'm thinking the combination of the air space/gap, carbon or graphite felt middle, and titanium foil inner should be more than enough insulation buffer to preserve the aluminum outer. Agree, disagree?

I expect total cost to be somewhere in between 100 and 130 just from some initial materials research. Don't have weight range estimate yet. Hopefully can get it under 1.5lbs–keep in mind it will be fairly small/low volume with short and thin (2 3/8 in) pipe.

The tent btw, will be reinforced in the crucial areas with IR reflective material so as not to cause heat damage to the tent material that will be near the stove. And yes, i am loco en mi cabeza. ;)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools