Topic

Weminuche in late September-questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Weminuche in late September-questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Started planning a trip in 2012, and didn't go for a couple of reasons.
    Hoping to head out there the latter part of September, and have a few questions.

I fly in, shuttle to hotel and train, so no rental car needed, but…where do I store my luggage? Do I need to bring something soft for storing in a locker somewhere?

Fuel. Is there a gear store conveniently located for canisters, maybe a hardware store, etc, for HEET or denatured alcohol? Not sure which stove I'll bring.
    What to do with the leftover fuel? Is there a box somewhere for leaving stuff that you can't take on the plane for other hikers?

Weather. The average temps for *Weminuche Wilderness* show low 30s for lows, and highs in the 60s. They're actually a couple degrees higher than what's listed for Silverton@9300ft, and 8-10F lower than those shown for Durango@6512ft.
    I posted about this trip on another board when originally planning it, and was warned that I could be facing subzero temps and postholing through 18 inches of snow. There's more than a little tendency for exaggeration there, though, so I'm not sure how to take that.
    Combined with the baselayers and down jacket used for sitting around camp, my current sleep system is comfortable to the lower teens, and 0F with an extra bottom layer. Think I'll be camping ~12,000ft a couple of nights, though, so don't want to be too blasé about it, and welcome any comments there. I won't be hiking in a long bottom baselayer, so it really comes down to whether I bring bulky R1 weight grid fleece bottoms for camp and sleeping or stick with Capilene 3.

Thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I fly in, shuttle to hotel and train, so no rental car needed, but…where do I store my luggage? Do I need to bring something soft for storing in a locker somewhere?"

An actual location would be useful…. Durango? Silverton? Chicago Basin? The Weminuche is big.
    Where are you starting?
    Where are you exiting?

I did a trip in the first week of October, starting at Spring Creek south of Lake City, and was greeted with 6" of wet snow on my second day. The trail was a faint shadow, I wasn't prepared for trail runners in snow, so I bailed.

I doubt if you will see sub-zero. But 20s are likely, and teens quite possible.

Cold is easy to deal with, wet freezing feet, and soaked upper layers, on the other hand …

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Figures. I edited for brevity, and left out the where.
    I'll fly into Durango, ride the Durango&Silverton train, and get off at the Elk Creek TH, and back on at the Needle Creek TH 6 days later. Doing a long version of the Elk Park/Needleton loop.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I agree with Greg on temps expectation, lows around 20, highs maybe in the low 50's. I wouldn't use an alcohol stove at those temps. I was in the Chicago basin for the 3 14ers on Labor Day 2011 and had nearly those temps. Snow/Sleet as we came down off the peaks both days. Late September is uncertain. You could have Indian summer or early winter.

Durango is plenty big enough and has multiple outdoor type stores that would have canisters. I did a quick google and came up with several choices (Backcountry Experience, Pine Needle Mountaineering etc…).

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Couldn't you ask the hotel to store your luggage for a few days?

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

Go down to Pine Needle Mountaineering, it's sort of downtown and right off the river. Ask those guys if you can keep your luggage in their backroom while you're up in the Wemi. Buy denatured alcohol from them, I think they sell by the oz. Very trustworthy and good for advice.

If that falls through, hit me up and I'll contact a friend there who could store your stuff while you're up there. There's an Advance Auto downtown that sells HEET. I've been snowed on in July in the Weminuche at 10K.

If you get a chance, get up to the Highland Mary Lakes.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Thanks, guys.
    My concern in town is time. There are no direct flights from here, so I'll have to connect then fly in sometime in the evening, and leave first thing in the morning, which is why convenient fuel and storage are on my mind.

Just checked vacations at work, and can choose between the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th week of September. I prefer low temps(better hiking and sleeping!) and less people, so assume later is better in both respects.

David, thank you. An overnight to Highland Mary Lakes is something I'd looked at as a side trip if the travel time works out. I'll be off for 9 days, and will have 6-7 for hiking. Still debating the standard loop and climbing a 14er or two, the longer version staying on the CDT to Rock Lake(most likely), or a side trip at the start. There's a lot to do around there!

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

September is an amazing time to be in the 'Nuche, you've got the place to yourself with amazing weather. With that amount of time, I would highly recommend getting out towards the Rio Grande Pyramid and The Window. Whatever you choose, have a great time.

<—-this shot was taken in the Weminuche. You can see the Pyramid in the background :)

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

That looks about 6 or so miles out of the way. Doable with an extra day, so I'll add that to the list of potential options. Googled pics, and that's some intriguing scenery.
    Have to see whether I have any problems with the elevation and all before knowing how much time I'll have to play around with extras.
    What I need is an extra week! I imagine this won't be the last time I go there, though.

-No storage lockers at the airport.
    -Pine Needle and Backcountry Experience also have no storage. One suggested calling hotels, that it would probably be case by case, etc. Of course they have fuel canisters.
    -Called a hotel at random, the Quality Inn. No official storage, but they'll hold a bag in their office.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

"If you get a chance, get up to the Highland Mary Lakes."

I've decided to do this on day 2-3 after spending night 1 around Vestal Basin.
    Still debating over sticking with the CDT past Nebo Creek, but probably will.

Just bought plane tickets today, and guess I'll start watching the weather soon. It's going to be a really nice change of climate!

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Getting close, and from the forecast, it's looking like I may see some rain/snow.

Might it be worth carrying my Kahtoola Microspikes if planning to climb Eolus and/or Windom?

Any info on the amount, or depth, of creek crossings on the Elk Creek and Vallecito Creek trails would be helpful, too. Occupying myself with little detail stuff at this point…

I have plans A, B, and a pretty ambitious plan C in place, depending on where the end of day 2 finds me.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools