Topic

Gatewood Cape Guy Line Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gatewood Cape Guy Line Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Picked up a Gatewood Cape this winter. Seam sealed it and now for the guy lines. I picked up some 1.25mm spectra cord from Zpacks and some of their micro line locs. Any suggestions how long each guy line should be? Would like some flexibility with my pitches. Thanks!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

When I did my guy lines I took an 18" piece of line and put a 1.5" loop in one end and a .5" loop in the other (for the stake). It leaves me with about 14" total length with which to play when I'm setting up. For a lot of ventilation I put the stakes close to the Cape. For more protection I put them further out.

Although I'm a big fan of the microlocs, I don't use them for the regular tieouts on the Gatewood Cape – I rely on my stake position. I do have one that I carry for the Gatewood on a longer guyline that pulls the head up using the extra tieout as shown in this photo:

Gatewood Cape on the Allegheny Front Trail

Enjoy your Cape!

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Kevin – Thanks for the tips! If you leave the length fixed do you change the angle or height of the pole?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Edward,

I'm really pretty lazy when it comes to setting up my Cape. I'm tall – 6' even – and don't ever adjust my trekking pole lengths. I put it in the Cape and adjust the angle until the pitch is taut.

As a rule I like to keep an angle on the pole – if it starts to rain the silnylon sags a bit and I can snug everything up by simply pulling in the pole a bit.

I hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools