Topic

Pitching the Tarptent Double Rainbow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pitching the Tarptent Double Rainbow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Searson

@dsearson

Locale: South Australia

Hello everyone,

First post here, but long time reader.

Potentially silly question here, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a good pitch on the Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Obviously I can get it to stand up just fine, but I struggle to get a real 'perfect pitch' with all the sides nice and taut. I can't seem to get it just right. Particularly the pegs that hold the vestibules out, I seem to end up with the fabric floppy at the top of the zip and tight at the bottom of the zip. I'm also not clear on the best way to use the little plastic clips to make the sides of the bathtub floor stand up.

Here's a photo from a recent outing, not a great pitch at all. But it might help you see anything I'm doing wrong.tarptent double rainbow

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The trick is to take a careful look at the way a shelter is pitched on the official web site and compare.
    Here is a nice Henry Shires pitch :
    DR set-up
    (I can't do better than that…but I can do that)
    Always start with the tie-outs (short corner guylines) fully extended .
    So the idea is to have the shelter in tension by placing the peg in the right spot not by inserting it to the ground and pulling on the line to get it taut.
    (your tie out angle is also slightly off. Just follow the direction of seam line, that way you get the right tension on both panels)
    Doing it the "right way" will have those tie outs hugging the ground and not 5 or so cm up in the air.
    Next , to reduce those end wrinkles just pull the fabric down via the ladder lock that connects the pole to the tensioning strap at the bottom.
    Now the bit that it is easy to get wrong. The vestibules.
    Simply your guyline there is also too short, see the angle and distance in the HS set up…
    give this a go and let me know if it still not quite right.
    franco@tarptent

David LaRue
    Spectator

@phaedrus

Locale: Chicagoland

I was setting up my DR yesterday in my back yard getting ready for a shakedown hike for Philmont. The tent is new for me and I was asking the same question. I had to go to the video on the Tarp Tent website and watch HS pitch the tent.

A few observations:

First: He shook the tent along the rainbow support pole. I assume he did this to even out the tension inside the sleeve and get the fly and pole not to have any hang ups along its length.

Two: HS moved (tensioned) the rainbow pole to left (in the middle of the span) as he put in the right side peg.

Three: The longer guy lines than standard.

Daniel Searson

@dsearson

Locale: South Australia

Thanks for your replies! Franco – I was hoping you'd see this. I will try your advice and see how I go. Longer guylines seem to be key – it looks like I might even want to replace the guylines on the vestibule tie outs. I will also try what you suggested David about shaking out the tent along the pole (it is a very narrow sleeve for the pole so I can imagine it getting stuck a bit). I might look up that video too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Daniel,
    There is no need for any shaking of the tent or lengthening of the tie-outs.
    Trust me , I have set up dozens of DRs…
    The trick is to set it up the way is designed, if you change length or direction of the tie outs you change the geometry of the shelter.
    This drawing might just explain it a bit better :
    DR tie-outs

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

Not a technical person, but can offer a few practical tips since I've owned this tent for 5+ years. and love it;)
    -first observation is that you didn't tighten the line that goes from pole to pole. so after you loosen that line to insert the pole from both sides, make sure to tighten the line (after the tent is pitched on all four corners.
    -I usually re-adjust tightening on all corners and stake position after the initial pitch. first thing you want to re-adjust is whether the central pole is straight. just look at it to make sure it's not bent to one side and sits totally straight, if necessary, just move the pole end side to side. then check which corner side needs to be readjusted for tightness/location to keep the central pole straight. (what i mean by "straight" is that it stands in a straight plane or line. obviously, the pole is an arch. but it should sit on the same line, geometrically speaking)
    -bathtub floor-i usually don't bother. as long as it is all clipped in. it won't look perfect "bathtuby", but I've never had any problem with leaking the rain in.
    -I like the stakes to be all the way in the ground, and to pitch low to the ground.
    -the door pitch should be the last.

Keep tightening!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools