Topic

Best wifi sd card?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best wifi sd card?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

Looking to get one of these for a thru hike to move photos from camera to blog via iphone.

I have heard rumor that some wifi-sd cards let you select individual photos to move and others make you download all photos… Anyone have experience with these?

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

From everything I have seen the eye fi cards seem to have the best support though I have not really played with many of he different cards out there

I ended up going in another direction though at the end if the day and picked up a Kensington mobilelite wireless card reader which allows you to transfer over wifi to pretty much any device you want data from a USB stick or the built in sd card reader. Allowed me to use all of my existing sd cards and was considerably cheaper than an eye fi card

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

I just started using an eye fi card for my business-I'm a real estate appraiser. I have it connected to my tablet so I can load photos into my software while I inspect. I sometimes have to mess with the connections but otherwise it works well for me. I have it set to transfer all photos over, looks like there is no control over this.

I'm really happy with it.

One point-the eye fi card really chews through my camera battery.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Mine worked fine around home but when I took it on a coast to coast bicycle tour it seem to drain the battery pretty fast and I got various read and write error so I stopped using it.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

A cheaper option might be to skip the wireless entirely. Something like the IOGear card reader plus Apple's own Lightning-to-USB Camera cable should work. Tiny weight penalty though.

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

I ended up going with the EZ share since it looks like you can select individual photos:
    http://www.drop-n-roll.com/cdt/gear-list/

I don't want to have to download all my photos to my iphone since I won't have enough storage. The USb connector idea is interesting though! And definitely the more budget option.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Make sure to test it before you go… I"ve heard these things can be flakey.

I'd also recommend looking at a Galaxy S4 or S5.. they're ideal backpacking phones.

GREAT power utilization, and you can swap in both external batteries and SD cards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools