Topic

sleeping system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleeping system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

I am doing the JMT in mid August. I have a nemo siren 30 degree quilt. I am looking for lightweight(ounces,not rating) layering system. I have a beanie and montbell down jacket. I did a over night in az this weekend. I do not know want the low was but when i poured water into my plastic cup it made some slush. Nevertheless i was cold at night. I had a lightweight top, beanie and put my jacket over my legs. Does anybody have suggestions of specfic brands that will not break the bank
    Thanks
    Eric

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

What are you using for a pad? Without a warm enough pad you will be cold but it feels cold on top as it sucks your heat out the bottom.

The Siren is a nice little quilt. A bit pricy and a bit heavy with a few wonky quirks but it should be warm to freezing with just a base layer.

-Tim

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Tim (the guy above me) makes reasonably priced quilts that are highly regarded on here. Get a 20 degree.

edit: forgot to add, his company name is enlightened equipment.

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Tim
    I am using the nemo pad that they recommend.
    Thanks
    Eric

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Eric,

How are you using it? Are you putting the pad inside the quilt like their promotional photos? If do this may be part of your problem. The quilt is a little small to go around you and the pad without loft compression. If that's the case use the quilt on top and you may find it warmer. Also try a warmer head covering. Some people use little head Insulation (Me) but others want serious head warmth (maybe you). Also what do you wear on your feet?

How to you like the NEMO "Pad attachment system"?

-Tim

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I know I have used 30 degree quilts and sleeping bag down to 15 degrees, but I wear layers, including a down hooded sweater to bed and use warm sleeping pads (or underquilt if I'm in a hammock).

As Tim mentioned, a warm cap is important. Keeping your head and torso warm is key.

My hands and feet will get cold first if I don't have enough insulation on my head and/or torso.
    I believe that is common with most people and part of how your body works.

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

I have used the bag like a quilt, not a bag. I think I need to close the bag.
    Thanks
    Eric

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools