Topic

MH Power Stretch beanie with a bill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MH Power Stretch beanie with a bill

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found one of these Mountain Hardwear Alpine Ascent Ball Caps today. I've never seen one quite like it: take a Power Stretch beanie with flip up ear flaps, add a 2.5" brim with a moldable wire in the edge and cover the front of the cap in the same light ripstop fabric as the brim.

Looks perfect for use under a hood in cold precip and eyeglass wearers should love it. Just 1.8oz. Folds up small too.

MH Alpine Ascent Ball Cap

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-alpine-ascent-ball-cap-OM5087.html

hwc 1954

@wcollings

That looks fantastic. I often wear a ballcap under a hood for glare in the sun or to keep my glasses dry. A bill combined with a power stretch beanie would be a great combination.

I have this in my pack for cold rain or snow protection. It's a waterproof PU coated ripstop with a fuzzy inside and a bit of synthetic puffy insulation. It's full weather protection for the head in cold weather, but too hot to wear hiking for very long. I prefer the breathability of Power Stretch beanies for sure

Marmot Precip cap

Even Power Stretch beanies can overheat pretty quickly. I just got one of the Patagonia Capilene 4 beanies. This thing provides no weather protection (wind, rain, snow), but on dry cold days (or under a shell hood), I think it will be fantastic. Even when I've got a hoodie, this would be just a little something in place when I flip the hood down. Or extremely breathable warmth, when I'm sweatin'. I think this will go alongside power stretch beanies as every day winter wear. They make a balaclava of the same material, but it appears to have sold out quickly.

Patagonia Cap 4 beanie

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"I just got one of the Patagonia Capilene 4 beanies. "

I didn't know they were making Cap4 hats (add to bargain watch list). That should be excellent under a hood and for sleep too. I have a Patagonia beanie that is R.5 material — a fine grid fleece. Super compact and light.

I usually need the ear protection as much as anything and a light layer does it most of the time. I have a headband too, but I'm on the fence for packing both a beanie and the band. Buffs are good, but I need an XL one. My wife loves 'em.

The "Peruvian" style caps in a windproof fleece are my favorite for colder weather. This billed cap is a nice variation. The fabric on the front adds a little protection and the hood doesn't need to be drawn down so tight. I've found that a cap will a bill can "cure" a bad hood too. And I don't mean 'hood :)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I use a peruvian windproof fleece hat. Not because it's perfect (it's close) but because it was on sale.

But it works great! I'd like a bill, the top hat looks fantastic. And the marmot, too.

qwfqwfqwfqwf

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

I have the MH version of this. I love it, but I wonder why HELL there needs to be so much branding – it didn't use to be this way. Add insult to injury, you can't just seam-cut the logo off because it isn't a patch, its embroidered in an extremely difficult way. Damn them.

//RANT

hwc 1954

@wcollings

There's so much branding because, at the end of the day, you are talking about the fashion industry. All of these companies are selling a brand image, lifestyle, etc. I mean… look at a Patagonia catalog. You'd swear the only people they sell very expensive clothes to relax on little perches suspended from rock walls instead of the local Starbucks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Because we buy the stuff. I have old Patagonia that you have to work to find a tiny tag or color-blended logo, like the one above. Contrast that with the First Ascent backpacks. If reviewers hammered this issue, I think it would chill a bit.

I do like the nut logo, especially on a cap :)

First Ascent Bacon Backpack

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"You'd swear the only people they sell very expensive clothes to relax on little perches suspended from rock walls instead of the local Starbucks."

$500 Arcteryx rain shells on the bus, 800FP down on a 65F afternoon. I *do* like my Coach messenger bag, but that was only $20 :)

Those purchases probably keep the prices lower for the rest of us, but they certainly could tone it down.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

One plus for the OR Peruvian hat is that you can wear it over a baseball cap.

This allows for a brim and the ability to take it on and off as needed without removing the baseball cap.

Wear it without the baseball cap to sleep in.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Sounds like a Peruvian with a Velcro bill might work :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That's a neat idea. I wear a regular ball cap to keep precipitation out of my face and layer a beanie over the top of the hat.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

>> Those purchases probably keep the prices lower for the rest of us, but they certainly could tone it down.

Actually, probably just the opposite. Positioning outdoor brands as high-end designer labels drives the price up. Makes it more "desireable", more "exclusive". Take a look at where Patagonia's stores are located.

And, of course, part of their brand image is small logos (and spending 1% of what you pay for a $150 fleece to save the whales or something so people feel like they are making a statement and part of a cause with their clothing…

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Personally, I wear a HeadSweats race hat when I'm moving. I may incorporate a merino Buff if it gets chilly, but it has to drop below 20° F first.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools