Topic

What’s warmer for the weight: quilts, bags?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What’s warmer for the weight: quilts, bags?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

And does it matter if it's winter or summer, and if so, why?

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'm a cold sleeper, I was warm in the Sawatch and Alsek quilts.
    EE Epiphany quilts are even warmer.
    In winter I had to add a foam pad inside my quilt and a neoair outside the quilt.
    Just a small foam pad shoulder to hip greatly increased the warmth of the quilt or bag for that matter.

Recently I've gone back to a FF Vireo 18 oz bag with a helios jacket.
    The weight of Zpacks and FF Vireo are about the same as a quilt.

As a side sleeper it's warmer as I toss around and I get a better sleep.
    I compared a zpacks 20 degree bag with the FF Vireo Nano both were great but
    I was warmer in the Vireo especially the footbox.

Both bags did a great job shedding water so no worries about condensation.
    The outside of the zpacks felt wet but no moisture got inside, The Vireo shed water like a duck and felt dry outside and inside. I weighed it before and after putting it in the rain and it did not gain any weight from dampness.

My feet get cold even in down booties so I wear fleece socks inside the down booties and now my feet are warm, finally.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The idea is that a quilt is warmer for the equivalent amount of down as the insulation is all on top rather than being compressed under you.

The other way to look at it is that you can get the same amount of insulation value for less weight as you eliminate the fabric and down from the bottom as well as a zipper and hood.

If you get a gap on the side from moving around, you will probably notice a lot faster with a quilt at winter temps :)

I thrash around and like a classic mummy bag for colder weather, although I'm happy to use it like a quilt in warmer weather for ground or hammock camping.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

There is really no one answer. If you tend to toss and turn a lot, then be prepared for a lot of drafts and lost heat with a quilt. For example, I have a neck injury that stiffens up after about 45 minutes to an hour. I need to roll over every 45 minutes or so. I don't have much luck with a quilt and below freezing.

If you remain in one position most of the night, then quilts let you get more use out of them, provided you have a good pad.

Compressed down does indeed have some insulating value, soo, it is kind of a mistake to discount it entirely. 3" of compressed down is roughly equivalent(at a guess) to about a 1/2" pad. It has the additional advantage of stopping drafts and leakage.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I do think generally sleeping bags are warmer in colder weather, that's how they came into popular use. And I think for certain people quilts are warmer for the weight in milder temperatures. They are definitely more comfortable for some people.

Personally, I'm a sleeping bag person except for summertime. But like most gear, what works best is what works best for the individual, not someone else.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I picked up a EE 30F Enigma quilt, loft is a lot less than my WM 35F Caribou sb, even with the Caribou laid out. I did the same on my WM Apache 15F bag, compared the measured loft with the stated loft of a 10F quilt. The quilt is much less. I'm hoping reviews are good.
    Duane

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

EE gives you the loft.
    If you wanted something comparable to a bag you have already, why didn't you just measure the loft and go from there?
    I don't getting the questioning behind it when he gives you the answers already.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Specs from the makers:

EE 30F Enigma quilt:
    2 inches loft (one layer), 14-21.5 oz depending on size and fill

WM 35F Caribou sleeping bag:
    3.5 inches loft (1.75 inches per layer), 20-23 oz depending on size

WM 15F Apache sleeping bag:
    6 inches loft (3 inches per layer), 30-34 oz depending on size

Kinda hard to compare directly, especially with other differences in construction that could make a difference in perceived warmth.

Let us know how they compare for you.

— Rex

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools