Topic

ACR ResQLink manufacture date

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ACR ResQLink manufacture date

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I'm looking to get this PLB but was wondering what others have done about its purchase. The battery should be replaced at the earlier of 6 years from the date of manufacture or 5 years from the date of purchase. This model has been around since 2011.

The battery replacement in this unit is very expensive so most people would opt to buy a new unit rather than replace the battery.

How would I know when I order it from a retailer that it wasn't manufactured in 2011 and has been sitting around in the warehouse since then? In that case, I would have to replace the battery in 2017 and would lose 2 years of use.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"How would I know when I order it from a retailer that it wasn't manufactured in 2011 and has been sitting around in the warehouse since then?"

This must be a trick question. Ask the retailer.

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You could express your concern and ask for the serial number of the unit they propose to ship you. Presumably, they'd grab the most recent one for someone who thought to ask.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

They say if you use it they will replace the whole unit for free. Ask for a new(er) one from the retailer. There is a date on the back of mine that says "Replace the battery after use or by the date shown". They (the manufacturer) are not out to rip you off.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

DD: so if you get lost near the end of the each life cycle, you get new batteries indefinitely?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This Thread is interesting…

$150 + shipping both ways

or

$10 + 15 minutes

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I bought my ACR ResQlink when it first came out. Paid about 300.00
    Not worried about replacing the batteries.
    good for 6 years and I figure that by the time the batteries run down there will be newer/better/lighter technology and I won't want to replace the battery.
    I just divide 300 by 6 years and figure it's rescue insurance that costs me 50.00 per year

Billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

When I got my ACR ResQlink a couple of years ago they quoted 80.00 for battery service. I was told that it not only included a new battery, a new seal to keep it waterproof, and testing the electronics to make sure it is working properly.

Not sure what the reality is, but that is what I was told.

In any case, for the reasons presented in my previous post I don't anticipate replacing the battery.

But, hack at your own risk…

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

No David… it's not getting lost that gets you a new battery; it's getting rescued that gets it… :)

Billy

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Trick question? More like trick or treat.

I called several retailers who carry them and they didn't have a clue what the 6year/5year warranty was or how to find where the manufacture date is located. Not haven't seen one in person, I didn't know if it is stamped on the unit itself or visible on the packaging for easy retrieval.

It appears from Greg's link (thank you Greg) the manufacture date is on the unit itself.

If I were to buy from a small company, no doubt they would walk back to the inventory shelf and could determine the age of the unit. All bets are likely off if I want to buy from a large retailer like Amazon or REI. That's just not going to happen.

No retailer near me carries one in inventory so I can't do the inspecting myself much less see one.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I have one of the first ResQlinks. The "Battery Exp" date is clearly printed inside the instruction flap on the back of the unit. No brain surgeon needed to figure this out.

I bought mine mail order, sight unseen from PSI Survival: http://www.life-raft.com/
    The seem like nice people on the phone and I imagine they would look at the exp date for you.

Or just order one from REI and if it does not meet your approval send it back for a full refund.

Of just keep calling retailers until you find one that WILL report the exp date to your.

Billy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools