Topic

mountain cloth

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear mountain cloth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

Locale: Western Slope

I logged on today to see if anyone knew a vendor or another name for a fabric a friend told me is known as "mountain cloth."

I saw the fabric on the sole of my friend's dog booties. The fabric is durable, thin, sewable, and lightweight, although I don't know how light weight. My friend thinks it is sometimes used on heavier backpacks, on the bottom or lower half where you lay the pack on the ground and you don't want the fabric punctured. She also said it was once available from REI but I can't find anything that resembles fabric on their website.

I wanted to try this fabric for a more durable camp shoe than some of the clever sandals and flip flops shown on the forum, one to be worn in relatively cold (near frost) weather. I would use this fabric for the sole and around the toes for a bit of toe protection, probably a stretch tricot nylon upper.

Five trips last season my mountain camp fell below freezing overnight, so I am gearing up for a bit more warmth and comfort in an easy-on camp shoe next season.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Cordura?

It was kind of a texturized heavyweight nylon from thirty years ago.

–B.G.–

Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll see if it still around or going under some other name.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I know nothing of fabrics, but two places that sell 'mountaincloth' shirts describe the fabric as: "The cloth is a 8.5 oz 100% cotton featuring a tight sateen weave." One place adds: "… threads are 2-ply by 2-ply, 216 by 120 thread count per square inch."

Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

I saw that description too, plus a zillion links to a merchant called "Delectable Mountain Cloth" … but that's not what I'm looking for. This fabric had a rough gripping (no skid) texture and resembled leather. It was stitched to the bottom (sole) of dog booties designed for snow or rocky trails. So the fabric is more durable than a cotton weave.

Jama Crawford
    Spectator

@jama

I think I found what I'm looking for.

http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html

then click on the button that says "Slipnot" … an abrasion resistant material good for bootie and slipper soles.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have used Slipnot for hut slippers or moccasins. Works and lasts well.
    CSM(Hyperlon) may be similar but much more expensive. Not tested.
    Nytek might work – don't know, not tested.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools