Topic

Durability of MLD Soul Bivy Cuben Bottom?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durability of MLD Soul Bivy Cuben Bottom?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm rife with conflict. I know nothing lasts forever, but some fabrics fray and crack and wear from being packed/unpacked and others do not. I treat my bivy bags like kings with a groundsheet and well-selected campsites, and I want a bivy that will last. I'm thinking about the MLD Soul.

So, I know it's easy to say "Cuben is durable enough!"

But does anyone have any pictures of what the bottom of their cuben bivy or groundsheet looks like after frequent or long-term use?

It's a big investment jumping into a new material, I would love the reassurance of a picture.

Thanks!

-Max

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have about 40 nights in my hexamid with no issues, its fine. Typical cuben crease lines everywhere. A few nights using it as groundcloth in shelters too. Its 1.0 or 1.1.

HOWEVER, the cuben is on top of the floor mesh, which gives it some additional protection.

Different thicknesses (weights) of cuben have different number of layers and makeup.

I think best to compare apples-apples. I have heard a few people say they had issues with 0.74 bottomed tents.

And the great thing about cuben, is tape makes a permanent repair. Even ducttape makes a quick serviceable field repair, so no worries.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools