Topic

Buy a cabin near Kings Canyon/ Sequoia west entrances?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Buy a cabin near Kings Canyon/ Sequoia west entrances?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I'm dreaming here….but some day I'd like to buy a cabin ideally within an hour or so of SeKi. (west side)
    Anyone have any suggestions for areas? Towns? etc? Any good sites for cabin hunting?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I know some people have used Yurts as cabins to get around excessive building codes (they are "temporary" structures). If you found a nice piece of property maybe putting a yurt on it would work.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It's a long way to a grocery store.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm retiring soon, I can be your caretaker! As long as I don't actually have to take care of anything, of course….

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I actually don't mind the long trip to the grocery store if it means being closer to Seki. I'll just stock up on mountain house and eat that!!! ;)

Seems like there's a bunch of cabins for sale near tahoe…but not so much near Seki….I'll keep searching. Wish me luck.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Why does it need to be on the west side of SEKI? There are lots of trailheads on the east side.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Easier year round access from my home in San Jose.
    If I can't find anything affordable on this side…I may consider the east.

I'm picturing Ron Swanson's cabin from parks and rec. Just a simple 2 bed, 1 bath.
    Again…I might be dreaming here…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Search "Cabin" in the real estate section of Craigslist. I search through our local listings every now and then and there's usually 6-12 listed on or adjacent to federal land in Chinook Pass Washington. Maybe you'll find something that way.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks for the suggestion!
    So far I found this http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/51723-N-Highway-245_Miramonte_CA_93641_M14216-43387?source=web

Maybe a little too rustic…but it's a start ;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That cabin looks pretty cool. Too bad there isn't a bit more privacy from the neighbors.

It's always interesting for me to see what's out there. I found a 200 square foot dry cabin on five acres for $20k earlier today. Looked promising but then learned that you can't build on the property and I suspect the cabin isn't a legal building.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake
    Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

I use trulia.com for real estate searches. Pay close attention to water availability for a property out in the boondocks.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am looking / dreaming as well. For me it's about 5 acres, water, no structure at this point ( $$$) but zoned to allow for it.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

There are a bunch of nice homes up in Mineral King at 8,000 feet, but it's a really long drive to get up there, and the road snows out in the winter…

Pipsissewa Online
    BPL Member

@pipsissewa

Me too. I use the MAP to search. Be sure the "Search Map" button is checked and you can pan around any area and see all the properties for sale within the map. LandWatch.com is good too, but not as user-friendly, in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools