Topic

Comments on new Sato & Rhodo Rods by Tenkara USA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Comments on new Sato & Rhodo Rods by Tenkara USA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

I am still reading up on Tenkara fishing and wonder if anyone has thoughts on the new Sato & Rhodo Rods from Tenkara USA for a first time user? The weight of the Rhodo at 2.1oz is appealing. Fishing mostly small Midwest streams and an occasional pond.

New Sato & Rhodo Rods from Tenkara USA Review

Tenkara USA Rod Home Page

Thanks for any thoughts and replies,

Roger

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Likely no one here has tried them yet. They sound interesting, but I figure that the Caddis Fly rods from Fountainhead are good enough for me and cheaper.

Just some of my experiences as food for thought. They may or may not be relevant.

FWIW, I am finding that for me:
    1. After dabbling with both, while the Tenkara is fun I like a regular fly rod better.
    2. I don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on higher end gear to catch trout and have fun. I caught scores of trout on the JMT hike with an $80 or so outfit and did not feel that the outfit limited my enjoyment of the trip.

I planned to use my Fountainhead Tenkara rod on the JMT last year, but on the drive out from the east coast bought an inexpensive 4 wt regular fly rod (Wind River Combo) from Cabelas on sale and on a whim. I took it on my hike, again on a whim, and found that for me it was more fun. I was still able to keep my base pack weight below 15 pounds despite having the fly rod, associated stuff, required bear canister, and quite a few extra items along.

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks for the suggestions Pete. I want to make a good rod choice to cover the small streams and ponds available in my area. These rods are too recent for first hand reviews, so I was interested in thoughts on the concept of one rod that offers three lengths. Fishing isn't new to me, but it has been years since I did any fly fishing.
    Up until now I have avoided reading the Tenkara articles on BPL, because I can turn that into another expensive obsession, along with my backpacking!

Roger

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"so I was interested in thoughts on the concept of one rod that offers three lengths"

I like the concept in theory, but I can't comment on how it works out in practice.

"Up until now I have avoided reading the Tenkara articles on BPL, because I can turn that into another expensive obsession, along with my backpacking!"

I understand that, but personally I find that I can do both pursuits with a relatively modest budget. If a modest budget is a requirement, the Fountainhead Caddis rods are a great value in my opinion.

If you do try the Sato & Rhodo Rods let us know how they work out.

Jay Johnson

@itsjaywhatsupgmail-com

I have the Sato but unfortunately haven't had a chance to test it on stream. The quality is awesome and recently TUSA has decided to come out with a lighter protection case for it. Initial impressions holding the rod, it feels good but that doesn't mean anything till I can truly test it.

I will write my thoughts on it as soon as I get out and use it. Hopefully sooner than later.

Gary Scavette
    Spectator

@grousehackle

Locale: Philadelphia Area

I have the Rhodo and have braved a few hours this winter to fish with it on two occasions. I also have the Iwana and find the Rhodo to be a more versatile and pleasing rod to fish. The Rhodo has a very soft pleasing action that unfurls a light level leader very well. This pleasing action is at all three of its telescoping lengths. I purchased it to use on small brook trout streams. I am very pleased with the purchase as it will likely be my "go to" Tenkara rod. It's versatility coupled with its low mass and small size make it a good fit for ultralight minimalist backcountry angling. I don't think you would be sorry with this purchase if you want a versatile rod for small brooks.

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There are a few more reviews out there now, if you look. Start here: http://tetontenkara.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-tenkara-usa-rods-sato-and-rhodo.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools