Topic

Opinel 6 3/8 inch Beechwood Handle Folding Saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Opinel 6 3/8 inch Beechwood Handle Folding Saw

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

A recent thread on UL folding saws inspired me to pick one up for trail work and firewood.

The 'Opinel 6 3/8 inch Beechwood Handle Folding Saw' seems to receive some favorable reviews on Amazon and some of the bush craft sites but I couldn't find any traffic here on BPL or determine the weight. Anyone here own one who would care to share the weight and general impressions of this saw?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

This looks to be a good compromise in weight and functionality compared to other saws I've seen.

I don't build fires or cook with a wood stove much anymore, but if I did, I'd definitely consider this one.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That was my impression as well. This looks like one of those scenarios where I'll have to just roll the dice and see where the weight comes in. The important thing that I’ve gathered from the reviews I’ve found is that it works well and is durable. I suspect if it’s heavier than some of the other backpacking saws out there, it won’t be by much.

Edit so no to bump: Thanks Dale

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Opinel No. 12 is 4.1oz. I think they are overpriced for what they are. The wood handle can swell when wet.

See http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=opinel-saw-knife-No12#.Uo-9yni9Kc0

For a small saw like that, I prefer the Victorinox Trekker knife, which gives you a locking knife as well as the small saw, awl, screwdrivers, etc. for about the same weight and price. The saw is an inch shorter and the weight is 4.6oz. If you are only cutting stuff under 2" or so and want the knife and other features, I think it is much more tool for the money.

The Gerber sliding saw is a third the cost and the blade is 6.5". The handle is long enough to get a two handed grip if needed. It has a good texture and works well when wearing gloves. If you are really trail clearing vs gathering fuel for a small stove, it is the better tool, regardless of the cost savings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools