Topic

“Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 422 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I’m the OP on this.  So… it’s been a few years since I started this thread, and I’m still wearing my original jacket (!).  It’s been on a couple of 250 mile thru-hikes with me, and it still looks new.  It *might* be my favourite piece of hiking clothing ever.  I’ve since bought a few more of these to give as gifts, and I’ve bought myself extras (in case they ever disappear).  In my size it weighs an improbable 2.5oz.

I agree with a previous poster who said that it outperforms a 2012 Houdini — after I started wearing my Fauxdini, I sold the “real” one. :^)

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

Do you happen to have an updated link?

Ty M
    BPL Member

@tylercmac

I JUST bought my Houdini. That’s usually the way it goes…but wow! Good find, Valerie.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

This is the one I bought several months ago, but there are usually numerous listings on both eBay and AliExpress.  The key is not to confuse the somewhat see-through jackets (GREAT) with the non-see-through ones (not breathable).  Examine the photos closely, and if it’s not kinda sheer, keep looking.

And remember, sizing is very small on these; some have shortish arms, others’ arms seem to be normal in length.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Thanks for the link Valerie. I just ordered the XXL (hopefully US large) to replace my barely breathable 2013 Houdini.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Valerie thank you for posting the link and heads up on the fabric type to look for. Do you or Ross have the link to the seller? The sale in the link already ended. Mike V and Zack posted this link previously which still works, but not sure if it’s the same jacket others are referring to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Wind-Jacket-Lightweight-Cycling-Windshell-Running-Windbreaker-Sportswear-/251961090630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3aaa0d2246

Valerie which of their sizes do you think would fit a woman 5 ft 6 in. 125 lbs who typically wears a US women’s size Medium?

Ross XXL sounds about right for a US men’s size Large.

edward b
    BPL Member

@sreeb

xxl is a little too small for me.  Smaller then an XL houdini.

edward b
    BPL Member

@sreeb

xxl is a little too small for me.  Smaller then an XL houdini.  Arms especially short.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The xxl I ordered was too small. dk is wearing it now.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ken thanks you’re a good reference having had the pleasure of meeting you in the flesh. So that FauxDini XXL, which is smaller than a US Men’s XL, must fit like a US Men’s Large. I bet Debbie is loving that jacket. Only question now is the sleeves.

Ed thanks I wore a Houdini in size Large, so smaller than a US XL is good so long as not too small. My dress shirt sleeve size is 33-34in. – would you say the FauxDini XXL sleeves are that long? If the sleeves were several inches too short I think they’d drive me nuts.

edward b
    BPL Member

@sreeb

I don’t buy a lot of dress shirts but I have fairly long arms.  My xxl measures 35.5″ from the center of the neck to end of the sleeve.  Your FauxDini may vary.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

@ Ethan A — your gal is just about my size, and I buy the Medium size, which still gives me enough room to wear a Ghost Whisperer underneath, if needed.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thank you Valerie super helpful. Do you have a current link or brand name to look for? I know we should be looking for the translucent material.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

This site is driving me insane. Twice after editing a long detailed post organizing and comparing the types of Fauxdinis available on eBay now for everyone’s benefit, the forum software made the post entirely disappear. This has happened before. After trying to put it back up, I’m getting warnings about duplicate posts.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

test post

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

OK, that worked. I tried to post a reply earlier that I received an e-mail alert that contained most or all of Ethan’s missing post. I tried to cut and paste it to re-post it here for him, and it doesn’t show up. I did forward that to Ethan so he has it for posterity, hopefully it can be actually posted back to this thread.

EDIT: No! not reporting for inappropriate content but trying to report a technical problem.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

@Ethan A:  The brand names on these seem to change all the time (frustratingly).  So I look for a couple of “standard” features that tell me I’m buying the same jacket as the original.  These include:

• Translucent material
    • Stow-away hood
    • Elasticized hem & cuffs
    • Zippered chest pocket
    • Fabric should not look “coated” or shiny

Hope that helps!

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

I took mine out on a windy day for a quick hike with my buddy. Still loving my Fauxdinis. I just spent a few minutes on ebay and I haven’t found anything I’m sure of to recommend to him. Any help is appreciated.

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Locale: Québec, Canada

So I just received mine from this seller:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152391459271

I intend to use it has a wind, sun, bug (will see) shirt.

For the sake of comparison, here is a picture over a medium Houdini. This one is an “xl”.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Marc-AndrĂ©, that link to the seller is for a women’s jacket, just confirming is that what you ordered? And are you comparing it to a men’s or women’s Houdini size M?

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Yes that’s the one I bought. And yes underneath it’s a men’s medium. And for info I’m 5’8″, 145lbs and “fit”.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Marc-André, how does it do on the breathability test?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Matthew, When I showed Valerie the list of current Fauxdini links I’d collected from the first 10 pages of an eBay search, she confirmed that the Fauxdini Marc-AndrĂ© ordered is the original one she ordered. From what I’ve gathered from others who have ordered, it appears that an XXL will give you the fit of a Men’s Large and an XL will give you the fit of a Men’s Medium, and that for all sizes the sleeves may be a bit short. If you want a slimmer fit you may have to order a size down, but probably at the expense of losing more sleeve length.

Marc-AndrĂ©, looking forward to hear how yours works on the breath test (blowing through the fabric) and how breathable it feels when you wear it. If it’s Valerie’s original, it should be quite breathable and the one I’ll order as well.

Marc-André Hernandez
    BPL Member

@march-2

Actually Ethan I followed Valerie’s advice: translucent, foldable hood etc.

I used my Houdini yesterday and my fauxdini today, for running. Temperature both days was 2 celcius and I used a merino t-shirt under the wind shirts. Fauxdini felt “cooler” and breath better. And I can blow through it.

I hope the information is useful.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I purchased the following Fauxdinis for my kids, age 6 and 9, in size XS. I also got a size XL for myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Wind-Jacket-Lightweight-Cycling-Windshell-Running-Windbreaker-Sportswear-/251961090630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3aaa0d2246

Note that this link is same as Ethan A.’s above. It is not the same link as Marc-Andre’s above.

Comparing Houdini to a Fauxdini

I have a L Houdini which fits me perfectly. The XL Fauxdini is a bit smaller. I may try an XXL. For reference, the only reason I got a Fauxdini for myself is to have a light color version (my Houdini is red) for dealing with day time mosquitoes in the Sierra. Ideally I would also like to use a light color Fauxdini for sun protection but am not sure if the material would offer much SPF.

The Fauxdini jackets are well made and the fabric is breathable. Unlike the Houdini they do NOT have: 1) a zippered chest pocket, 2) adjustable elastic hood toggles and 3) adjustable elastic waist toggles. To clarify, the hood and waist have elastic, it just isn’t adjustable.

Finally, compared to the other Fauxdini (see Marc-Andre’s link), the hood is not foldable. Given how light the hood is, this is my preference.

As Marc did above, tomorrow I’ll post a picture of my XL Fauxdini over my L Houdini.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 422 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools