Topic

“Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 422 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Price Hiked to $35. Bye bye, $13 jacket.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

HO-LEE crap! I wonder what's up with that???? This thread has been dead for a while, so I don't imagine sales are skyrocketing (unless some other group discovered these, and have been buying them like mad…).

That said, I take mine on every hike, and I think it's a great piece — but I've never worn a Houdini (had one, briefly, but it was too small for me), so this is all I know.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I believe it was Confucius who wrote:

"If Sei Gweilo likes,
    The price you quickly hikes."

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I sent the eBay seller a question asking them about the price increase.

It's a shame the price has gone up so dramatically. For some reason, I was thinking the jacket didn't have a hood… otherwise I would have gotten one. But it does have a hood.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I didn't know Confucius spoke broken English.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

My translation, and I'd break anything for a couplet.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Appears to be the same product with more colors for a lower price of $13.33 + $1.45 S&H here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ultralight-uvioresistant-Waterproof-Rain-Wind-Coat-Cycling-Jacket-Jersey-G-/261399212290?var=560294614914

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

I picked one up for $15 and it's very nice for the money. I ordered the XXL and it fits great for me. I have short arms and a shorter torso and this fits just like a normal men's medium would. Very light, very nice.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I also ordered one, size XXL. It seems to fit like a men's large SHIRT, not a large jacket. The fit appears to be about the same as my dress shirts (32/33" sleeve length). I am currently 5'8" and 190lbs, all of the extra weight stored as a "spare tire". I can zip the wind shirt and it is not tight, but not loose either.

A J
    Spectator

@tahiti

Just a note, I got the green and blue both in XXL. The green jacket fits like a mens large, the blue fits like a mens medium. They are different jackets with different cuts/logo placement/stuff sack placement.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Interesting, I got the green and felt it fit like a large.

BTW, where is the stuff sack placement on the green?

Also, BTW, mine weighed in at 74 grams (2.6 oz).

J Mag

@goprogator

When you say fits like a large, does that include sleeve length?

I am 6'3 with arms to match and hate when sleeves are too short. It also doesn't help that I weightlift so my arms are big for my size. I would love to pick one of these up if someone my height has found they fit?

Edit: Or if anyone has found a substitute for a similar price I would appreciate it.

A J
    Spectator

@tahiti

Don't have it next to me, but I believe the stuff sack on the green is in the chest pocket. The stuff sack on the blue is in one of the hand pockets (if I recall correctly). I can take pics tonight.

I know the green has much more chest space which is why I'd say it fits like a large. I can't completely remember how the sleeves felt, but slightly longer than the blue would be my guess. I can take measurements.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

At least on the one I have the sleeve length is short, which works well for me but I'm 5'5" with regular length arms. I can't imagine the sleeves being long enough for someone over 5'10".

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

I measured the sleeve lenght and the underside seam is 20 1.2 inches. For comparison my dress shirt labeled 15 1/5 33/34 the underside seam is 21 inches. This is for the green one.

Andrew M
    Spectator

@minerat

I received my XL.

I'm 5'8" 145 and I'm usually a small/medium in jackets (14 1/2 32/33 dress shirt size). This fits me really well. I haven't tried a mid layer under it yet, but it fits over a dress shirt really well and I feel like I have a bit of room for ~250 weight merino as well.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome find and reviews :)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I'm guessing because this wind jacket is 100% polyester, it is therefore not mosquito-proof? Is it only nylon that is bug proof?

TIA!

KJ

Ellen Conley
    BPL Member

@pearl

Locale: Southern California

Price back down to $14.94. I ordered an XXL for my brother who wears a US XL and if it is too small for him I think I'll keep it! I can wear a US Mens Lg.

J Mag

@goprogator

Mind sharing your height and sleeve length and what color you ordered? Are the sleeves long enough for you?

Glenn S

@glenn64

Here's what I posted above, and a pic comparing the XXL in Blue, to a MB Tachyon Large in green. The price is up to $14.56 now though.

Appears to be the same product with more colors for a lower price of $13.33 + $1.45 S&H here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ultralight-uvioresistant-Waterproof-Rain-Wind-Coat-Cycling-Jacket-Jersey-G-/261399212290?var=560294614914

Xxl

The elastic waistband gives it a narrower tapered appearance than it really is, but it's still obviously much smaller. Same Jack Wolfskin brand, same 21-ish inch sleeves. Self storing chest pocket, no hand pockets. Non-adjustable elastic hood without brim. Elastic cuffs. Full length YKK Euro-style zipper. 100% nylon is a quieter and softer fabric than the Mont Bell. Tall collar when hood is up, providing a double layer around neck area. Seems to be a great blend of windbreak vs breathability and it does add warmth. Haven't tested waterproofness, but can't imagine it'd block much moisture. It might hold a good DWR spray down though.

I'm 5'10", 160#'s with a 40" chest and this just barely fits with a polypro thermal top on. I can not pull my hands in the sleeves at all, and the forward-double-elbow-block test feels like I'd rip out the back or blow out an elbow. But for just walking around, it's adequately roomy. One size smaller would be impossible to wear for me. Anyone bigger than me just wouldn't fit into an XXL. This isn't going to work over my medium WM flash puffy, but for $15, I have no buyers remorse and it'll be used for something. Loaner, backup, or just kept in the glovebox on the boat…

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Glenn-

Are these coming with tags that say 100% nylon? …the eBay page says "100% Polyester". If yo could let me know what it is actually made of I would greatly appreciate it. TIA!

-KJ

Glenn S

@glenn64

Hmm, the website does say polyester doesn't it?.Here's what's printed inside the collar.

Labelxxl

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Thanks Glenn!

KJ

J Mag

@goprogator

This makes me a sad panda :( Sometimes being big has its downsides…

Thanks for the info though Glenn. Very helpful.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 422 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools