Topic

The Big MYOG Ultralight Hammock project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear The Big MYOG Ultralight Hammock project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ok, I've been sleeping in a hammock for about a year now, and I really want to make my own ultralight gathered-end hammock. However, I am a complete MYOG novice. Anyone have any of the following?

1) A good guide on making the lightest MYOG hammock (within reason)

2) A good source for materials like 7/64 Amsteel Blue line and the hammock silnylon (no idea which fabric weight to get, all I know is I want it in charcoal.)

3. Any advice for a first-timer.

In my head, the hammock seems simple enough, since all I really imagine I have to do is gather both ends and rig a ridgeline that has a whoopie sling on both ends, and then two other cords to clip to the whoopie sling(s) and the webbing to wrap around trees. Seems simple… who knows what I'm getting myself into.

I would also love help coming up with a shopping list.

Thanks BPL!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

1. It depends on your weight and tolerance for comfort. 1.1 ripstop, not silnylon as you want it to be breathable, is the lightest I would be comfortable using. Absolute lightest would be cuben fiber, M90, M50, or Nobul type fabric but I don't know of very many who have been successful with these fabrics and an average weight hanger.

2. DIY Gear Supply, I just bought 7yds of their 1.6 ripstop for two gathered end hammocks. They have a guide for making your own single or double layer hammock as well. If you're picky on fabric color you may have to look at thru-hiker.com or elsewhere. They also care a few colors of Amsteel. ReddenMarine is also a good source for Amsteel. I'm planning on making another from 1.1ripstop to cut the weight.

3. Go slow, try a few stuff sacks first to get the settings right on your machine. Nothing you can screw up too much with a hammock. You're only hemming the edges. Also, be careful, MYOG is addicting!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Thanks for the advice!

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

you really need to get over to hammockforums.net – there is a wealth of information over there.

eg. ultralight hammock – https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43521

ultralight suspension -https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66163

And yes, I'd agree, you don't want to use silnylon unless you don't mind waking up in a puddle of sweat

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

+1 on DIY Gear Supply. They also have amsteel.
    +1 on skipping silnylon.
    +1 on checking out hammock forums.

Check out Shugs videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Hammocks aren't all that hard, but do some research. How much do you weigh? That will determine which weight ripstop(1.1, 1.6, 1.9) you need. Just cut a 10 or 11 ft piece of ripstop. Hem it on all four sides. Make a larger hem on the short ends, slip a piece of line through the hem and pull it tight to gather the hammock. Then larkshead the whoopie to the end of the hammock. There are a million ways to attach the whoopie to your tree straps, but I use the marlin spike hitch method..

Wade Ford
    BPL Member

@cwford

Locale: NTX
    Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

I would definitely agree with the others on using 1.1 ounce nylon. DIY Gear Supply is a great place to get it, but there are so many other places to get it if you are particular about color. (Rockywoods, Quest, owfinc, etc.) Several people have successfully made hammocks using M50 before however they project the weight capacity to be around only 150 pounds.

If you decide to make Amsteel whoopee slings then Redden Marine is the place to get it. They have all the colors and they have a 5% off discount code for Backpacking Light. However, for lightest weight and smallest size, I would suggest Dynaglide UCR's. Dynaglide is plenty strong to be used by anyone under 200 pounds, and is only 2.2mm in diameter. It is much smaller that Amsteel. The UCR's also require the use of less cordage.

Here is a great illustrated thread on making Dynaglide UCR's: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70043

Here is a thread on making an ultralight hammock known as the Ghost Hammock. It is cut narrower than a normal hammock for lighter weight and uses a sewn-in footbox to still allow a comfortable lay. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43521&highlight=Ghost+hammock

I'm currently using a DIY 1.0 ounce nylon Ghost Hammock with Dynaglide UCR's and Mule Tape tree straps. The entire system weighs only 6.1 ounces.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Okay after building 6-8 different hammocks and trying all sorts of stuff, like trapezoids, bridge hammocks, too short too narrow etc this is my take.

First off go hang at the hammock forum.
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh ?
    How do you normally sleep ??

I am 6-3 and 230 and the only length that really works for gathered end for me is 12'
    Width should be 5' no matter what length IMO. Even a 11' Hammock is just a tad too short for me.

For your fist hammock Buy 8 yards of 1.1 oz cheap ripstop (not sil) and make a long double layer gathered end hammock. Hem it all around and leave the sides open. You may want to tack the sides in a few places. IE build a 5×12 and that should weigh 15 oz.

Try it like that then if you think you can deal with a shorter hammock just knot it shorter and try to sleep in it like that. When you find the sweet spot and are sure you can deal with that length. Lop it off and seam it.

Alternately if you want to try a small hammock just buy a grand trunk ultralight and change the suspension. Theya re cheap.

W Whip works the best for me.
    I do not like the channel, gather and whip method.

Also you might want to leave the end as a tiny channel. Load it with cord like 550 or
    whatever and tack the ends and that might forestall a fall if the whipping decides to let go. Happened to me the other day. I think triptease works well for whipping. Seems to have some grip.

Later on you may want to try a M50 double layer. That would weigh about 10 oz for a 5×12 double layer, but I have not tried that yet myself. Not sure how much weight one can handle but a few guys on the hammock forums are playing with M50 hammocks. I do know of one single layer M90 that failed big time.

Use short loops and larkshead on the ends with a whoopie hook on the loop.
    Make whoopies with amsteel from above.

I made tree straps from 5' finished length of 5/8" mule tape with one end looped and a amsteel dog bone on the other with another whoopie hook on the free end of the dogbone.

So in total for each end.

6" diam amsteel loop with one whoopie hook
    6' or so amsteel whoopie
    5' tree strap with looped ends with an amsteel dogbone on one end with a whoopie hook on the free end.

Carry a couple extra dogbones just in case like maybe 2'L and 4'L.

This is similar to Sgt Rocks 2 oz suspension, only I used heavier materials, IE amsteel and wider mule tape.

My suspension weighs 4oz total with the hammock loops, hooks, tree straps etc.

Alternately if you are not too heavy you could just duplicate sgt rocks 2 oz suspension, but it is minimal. I think his whoopies were Dynaglide. If you search for it you can find it.

Also he did a complete hammock setup with tarp in 13 oz but used a nano hammock which is tiny and a small cuben tarp.

Get some zingit for the ridgeline from Zpacks or similar.
    The ridgeline should be set about 85% of the total length. I have one end looped with a
    tautline hitch so I can adjust the length.

Finally after all that and you figure out the ultimate length of your hammock, size your tarp accordingly. I ended up having to build a 1.1 sil nylon cat cut tarp to get the length I needed. It is about 13.5 feet long or so and shaped like a tadpole tarp and weighs 12.5 oz with zpacks line and adjusters.

If going ultralight permithrin, cover up with cloths socks and gloves and a head net if you can deal with that. I made a drape bug net. Weighs about 10 oz.

Also if you are a side sleeper or a stomach sleeper, you might want to eventually try out a bridge hammock. Difficult build and heavy but with a xlite wide in one, it is like a bed although a bit tippy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools