Topic

Hammock Tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hammock Tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kim Grant

@kimberlymae

Did a search on this topic and didn't see a relevant thread… apologies in advance if I missed it.

I'd like to know who is using/has used a hammock tent and what your experience has been, pros and cons, useful features to consider, worst features, etc.

thanks!
    -Kim

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Not sure what you mean by "hammock tent". Do you mean the shelter piece that goes over a hammock, or the entire hammock setup for camping, or a tent that hangs like a hammock? If you mean the hammock for camping then usually they are referred to as "camping hammocks" or "backpacking hammocks". You'll have a much better discussion of them over at Hammock Forums. People really know their stuff there.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Ditto what Miguel said. I just finished my second trip using a hammock and before making the plunge, I got most of my info from those forums.

Why did I start hammocking? Comfort. My older bones sleep a lot better in the hammock than they ever did on the ground. Weight for me is only slightly more than tarp/mattress camping (the inflatible mattress being required for any chance of sleep on the ground).

There is a prototype product from Jacks R Better that is a tent specifically for hammocking. It will fully enclose the hammock — you hang the hammock as normal and then pitch the tent around it. Again there's lots of dicussion of this on the hammock forum.

Good luck!

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

I have a Hennessy Hammock A-Sym. It is comfortable and nice to get up off the ground. You can sleep pretty flat in one of these. I tend to sleep on my side and this hammock is only so so for that. It is fairly light, comfortable, and can be setup on sloping or rocky terrain, so long as you have treest 12' to 15' apart. This has not been a problem for me in Colorado, New Mexico, or Arkansas. However, it is colder in a hammock as your bottomside is more exposed to the cool or cold air without the warmer ground underneath. Also, trying to stay on a pad in the hammock for additional insulation underneath you can be challenging. However, in warmer climates, the coolness below can be very refreshing. Good luck on your decision.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Kim,

I have used a Hennessy Expedition as my primary shelter for 4 years.

The best feature is the bottom entry. You can enter and exit even with the fly hung very close to the hammock body. The closer the fly is to the body the smaller the fly needs to be to provide complete protection. I use a GoLite poncho for the fly.

The structural ridgeline is also a very important feature because I can get the correct sag the first time every time. Stuff sacks hung on the ridgeline with mitten hooks are an excellent way to stay organized.

The A-symetric shape means carrying less fabric and also it matches the shape of the poncho/fly.

The Claytor Jungle Hammock with a MacCat Deluxe tarp is an excellent winter hammock.

The Eagles Nest is a good picnic hammock.

Like all gear it needs to be matched to your style and the trip. Not appropriate for above timberline and desert hiking.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools