Topic

how to cut coffee weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) how to cut coffee weight

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Martin Ellenberger
    Spectator

@martellenberger

I'm looking to see what everyone uses for their coffee setups to see if I can cut some ounces off mine. I use a plastic French press mug, it weighs 8oz and I don't have to carry anything other than that and my cook pot.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

(looks both ways, ducks and covers)

starbucks via

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Mike Clelland's article on backpacking coffee techniques.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coffee_beautiful_cup.html#.UbRhyRaTBhA

Unfortunately this was written before Starbucks Via was on the market – I think it is my preferred trail coffee method when camping with 1 or 2. When camping in bigger groups I'll think about bringing a proper coffee brewing method

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

No comparison.

Only downside is the price.

It reminds me of Esbit vs Alcohol. Esbit is the best, but it's expensive.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Makes an awesome instant coffee single, packaged just like the via, but includes cream and sugar!! For those of us who partake in such blasephemy, of course…

$2 for 10. Love them!!!

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The Trader Joes instant coffee is more cream than coffee – far too weak for me. Go with Via or Via Iced!

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Community Instant Dark Roast, repackaged into a flip-top plastic container. It's good coffee, and no extra trash from single-serve packets, just add to hot water in my cook pot.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Via is crap. It's main redeeming feature is that it's not bad cold, and thus good for light and fast and/or no cook trips.

If you're taking the time to make hot coffee do it right and make cowboy coffee. Lots of espresso grounds in cold water, just boil, let sit, tap to settle, pour.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Ah, you're coffee snob, Dave. Via is fine. I buy several 6-packs of Starbucks' Christmas blend when they sell them at half price in early February. That sets me up for the summer, on the cheap. Not quite as tasty as the Italian Via, but affordable.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

The best way to cut weight on coffee is to just forgo it. That is my usual approach for the backcountry. It has the benefit that when I get to towns along the way or get back home the coffee tastes so good!

When I do bother with coffee in the back country I take Via and think it is fine. I am normally a Charbucks hater, but think Via is good. Different strokes though.

BTW: For those who like cream in their coffee, Nido powder is a great substitute.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Another vote for Starbucks VIA–better and lighter (IMHO) than all other options I've tried.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Cut weight elsewhere. I've seen the look on other campers faces when they all bought Via, decaf, ugh. I had real grounds and real sugar. Like hungry wolves.

Coffee is too important. Take Dave's advice.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Caffeinolics Anonymous!…kidding.

scree ride

@scree

I use an Aeropress.
    8.3 ounces with a metal filter. Excellent coffee with hot, not boiling, water. Less fuel than cowboy coffee. Not a lot different from a traditional press. Better filtration. Much easier to clean.

Tanner M

@tan68

David Chenault > If you're taking the time to make hot coffee do it right and make cowboy coffee. Lots of espresso grounds in cold water, just boil, let sit, tap to settle, pour.

This is pretty much what what you get with the French press. Lacks a strainer but it can be worked around.

When I took coffee, I boiled water used an old yogurt cup to hold a coffee filter and strain. At the time, it didn't occur to me to not use a filter. In the end, I don't take coffee.

I haven't heard of S'bucks VIA. I don't get out much… "Tear open a pack of Starbucks VIA® coffee and you’re halfway to the magical moment that only a great cup of coffee can create."

I suppose I could carry a packet with 1st Aid stuff in case I need to wrench open a pack.

Oh, gosh. I remember Nescafe in school. Trying to mix it with hot water from a tap. Finally licking a little bit of the powder. I wish I hadn't just dredged up that memory…

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

If you are just looking for caffeine for energy or to avoid caffeine withdraw (headaches), you can use caffeine pills or Crystal Light Energy.

You can get 100 200mg caffeine pills for $6 on Amazon. This is the same amount of caffeine in 16oz of coffee. Keep in mind that most people probably regard caffeine as a diuretic, so you need to drink more water.

Crystal Light Energy packets are the same as Via packets, and weigh 2g each, with 120g of caffeine in them. This automatically helps with the diuretic effects since it's less caffeine, and mixed in with 16oz of water.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

To get proper coffee you have to grind it just before brewing, so you should bring a grinder too.

I just use "Taster's Choice" freeze dried which is maybe not quite as bad as some other instant coffees.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I keep my grounds in a old school lexan Nalgene 4oz screw top jar. No odor gets out. Grounds stay fresh. Ziploc aint gonna work.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I'm with Pete. Leave it at home. Go without.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Savage.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Plastic absorbs odors, you really need a glass jar.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No issue with my 20 year old lexan jar. Glass, You're funny.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I find this to be a happy medium between drinking commie via coffee and flossing coffee grounds out of my teeth. Total weight is 1.5 oz.

I use a french press at home (wheech expleens thees reediculous accent oui oui) and find that the quality of coffee to be on par with cowboy coffee…. a french cowboy if you will.

.coffee

In all honesty I do drink freeze dried coffee and I much prefer Trader Joes to Via.

EDIT Ok so my picture quality and size needs some improvement.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I add it (any freeze dried brand) to my granola before I leave home.

I consume coffee for the caffeine. Don't care about the taste.

Tanner M

@tan68

> You can get 100 200mg caffeine pills for $6 on Amazon. This is the same amount of caffeine in 16oz of coffee.

Each pill provides the same amount of caffeine..?
    (The effects of 100×200 would make the paper)
    :^)

I didn't know about the Crystal stuff.
    Still need to get out more.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools