Topic

Shangri-la 1 vs Fly Creek UL 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shangri-la 1 vs Fly Creek UL 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

I have both of these tents and am trying to decide which to sell. The Golite seems bigger, but looking at the dimensions, it doesn't look like much more room. The Fly Creek is lighter by about 6 ounces.

It would be great to hear from people who have had one (or better both) for a while.

Thanks!
    Kevin

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

From looking at them in REI I imagine the Fly Creek UL 1 would be more rooming then the SL-1, at least when the bug nest is in.

I find my SL-1 just about right without a bug nest. I've never used the bug nest but I imagine it would become a lot more cramped.

They are both good options it just depends on what you want. I have the SL-1 because I got a good deal on it and I mostly just us the fly tarp when the weather is nasty. If you want bug protection the UL 1 is a bit lighter and probably a bit roomier.

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I've got the BA Fly Creek UL1, and have used it for a couple of seasons now. Its got just enough room for me inside, (I'm 5'11", 160), but the vestibule is only big enough for a pair of shoes and a water bottle. What I like most about it is the tiny footprint; I can pitch it almost anywhere, and there's not a spider web of guy lines like some tarps have. What I like least about it is the entrance. My creaky old back does not like getting in and out of the thing. That's why I'm looking at something like the TT Notch to replace it. All in all, though, it has been a steadfast companion.'

Not trying to sound like a smart aleck or anything, but if you own both tents, and want to get rid of one, why don't you just sell the one you like the least?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The SL1 is a four season shelter and handles weather extremes well. It can also be pitched high with one side open for ventilation on hot summer nights, but still protect from rain.

The SL1 is more flexible in how and where it gets pitched.

The Fly Creek is a trendy design and that is important to a lot of people.
    Inexperienced hikers will probably find the Fly Creek easier to pitch.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

Brad-I ask rather than just trying for 2 reasons.

1. I have tried both and am torn. The Shangri-La is substantially larger (especially the vestibule) and a 4 season shelter. The Fly Creek is probably big enough and 6oz lighter.

2. Someone here might know something I don't (it's usually the case!), and I don't want to wait for a year to really know the long term benefits and failings.

Steven-I tried the one-side-lifted thing; pretty nice! The SL1 is a more flexible design.

Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools