Topic

Better Hook and Loop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Better Hook and Loop?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

A computer I recently bought had a small hook and loop strap wrapped around one of the cords. The hook was on one side and the loop on the other (as is common) but the strap was different from the typical hoop and loop I've used in the past. Here's how it is different.

(1) The hook portion barely sticks out from the strap. It feels more like sand paper than the typical feel of the hook side of similar straps. Photos below show the hook sides of a typical strap compared to the new strap (bottom and right).

(2) When the hook side is joined with the loop side the resulting sandwich of the newer strap is thinner (3.6mm thick for the typical strap and 2.75mm for the newer strap).

(3) I believe the newer strap is about 20% lighter than the typical strap but I couldn't get a good apples to apples comparison due to the small sample and varying widths.

(4) I think (untested) the hook portion of the newer strap would be less prone to catching on things.

(5) Best Part! The newer strap forms a much stronger (shear?) bond than the typical strap. With about 2" of overlap on the newer (9/16ths wide)strap I was barely able to pull the two pieces apart. With comparable typical hook and loop I can pull them apart easily. (peel strength was about the same for both-weak).

here

here

So, anyone have more info on the newer hook and loop like where one could buy it. My googling hasn't turned up much. I tried "low pile" "low profile" "low nap", etc. but didn't come up with much.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

It's called 'One Wrap'. For the small quantities I use I buy it at Lowes in the 1.5" roll since that's much less expensive than the 3/4" width roll in terms of quantity per $. I just cut it down the middle to get 3/4"

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Rip-tie ?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Got a role of one-wrap. It isn't the exact pattern of my sample but it is close enough and appears to have all of the positive traits of my sample.

Didn't get my hands on any rip ties so I can't say how close they match up.

Thanks again for the help.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Don't know if this is related to the stuff Walmart sells labeled, "Velcro Reusable Ties." Tried it becasue it's two-sided and thinner, but found that it loses its adhesion pretty quick. It has none of lasting power of regular Velcro, so regret having sewed it into the project. It is fine for tying electrical wires together and similar apps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools