Topic

Titanium Goat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium Goat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Hoofnagle

@bhoofnagle

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Anybody have experience with these guys, their products? Specifically, their bivys?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I've yet to scrounge the money to buy anything from the TiGoat guys (been busy with new baby, and moving). However, they've been ultra responsive whenever I've emailed questions.

However, I have plans to buy a bivy (pretty low prices) and / or the Crazy Diamond tarp soon.

BGT.org only has the Titanium Goat Vertex 5, none of the bivies.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

The product I have cost $45 and is a light-weight, no-frills bivy. Quality seems fine. Given the cost, it is not, nor did I expect it to be cutting edge.

For anyone who has not used a bivy, I would suggest comparing a hooped one versus a non-hooped one. I would be hard pressed to want to spend another night zipped up in a non-hooped bivy…yikes, the claustraphobia!

Their 2 piece light weight poles look interesting…and perhpas a little more cutting edge.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I have the Epic bivy with bug net. Materials are as stated, sewing is excellent. I don't have enough nights to write a review yet, but am satisfied so far.

The large is big enough for me and I wear a 46 regular. I did not say spacious. I expect to sleep ON it most of the time and only crawl in to escape bugs and weather.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I have the basic DWR bivy in large, the company was great, very responsive (replied to emails hours later, on a national holiday).
    The bivy is nice, very roomy girth-wise, but barely long enough for me at 6'3".
    Getting the bug net totally sealed is more challenging than other bivies, but the reward is much, much better ventalation in bug-mode than similar UL bivies.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

First let me comment that when I interacted with them their customer service was awesome. Now here is my narrative about the bivy I used…nothing scientific here.

I have one of their bivy's from 2006 (I think). It was pretty cheap $40 or so. I had never used a bivy but I thought it might work better than my ground cloth when tarping.

I took it on a weekend hike from Kennedy Meadows (CA) south on the PCT to Walker Pass. The first night it was totally clear when I pitched my tarp and went to sleep, I woke up freezing ( I had a 35 or 40* bag and I am a cold sleeper) and I realized that it was snowing out. There was no precip in the forecast for this fine April weekend and when I pitched my tarp I didn't do a great job since I just wanted it to keep some dew off my stuff and add a degree of warmth. Well, needless to say, the snow was blowing in the open side of my tarp and my bivy was caked in snow. I did a little inspecting of my bag and altough my sleeping bag didn't keep me warm, the bivy did keep my bag bone dry.

Note, I have never needed to zip it up so I can't comment on the hoop vs. no hoop aspects.
    NITRO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anitra, Where did you camp that first night? Rockhouse Basin? I would like to know about the water from Rockhouse Basin, south to Walker Pass. I was up there last May and, although the Kern was outside it's banks, there didn't appear to be much water. I would like to do the same hike in a few weeks, i.e your hike from Kennedy Meadows or just north of Rockhouse down to Walker Pass. Thanks, John

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Just to comment on the Ti Goat basic bivy. I just recieved mine, and it is made and looks great @ 7.9 o.z., but I am 6'3" and it is too short for me to be able to zip it up . My bivy measures a true 85" long when lying flat, but once you get in with your sleeping bag, I am just too tall. It doesn't have a "bathtub floor type bottom so the 85" length is reduced as myself and bag take up girth. Lucky for me I ordered the bug net sewn in, so I will most likely just stick my bottom half in the bivy and place the net over my top section. The net is mighty big on my bivy and believe it would cover just about anyone up to maybe 7' or so.
    I saw another comment in this thread regarding the length, so i thought I would post my experience aswell.
    Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools