Topic

Best load transfer to hips: GG Mariposa vs. ULA Ohm 2.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best load transfer to hips: GG Mariposa vs. ULA Ohm 2.0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

I have a straightforward question: I'm looking to buy a new lightweight pack and want opinions on the pack with the best load transfer to the hips — mariposa or ohm 2.0?

Note: I'd prefer the volume of the Ohm, so a GG Gorilla would be a better comparison size-wise, but it currently doesn't come in a small torso size.

Would be great if female users could chime in!

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I did a major amount of research before purchasing my ULA Circuit. The main and deciding factors for my choice in going the ULA way is 1.Anyone that had owned any ULA pack and anything other always commented on how well the ULA carries weight. 2.I was absolutely hard pressed at finding a negative comment about the ULA packs, period.

After buying my ULA Circuit the only thing I would say I am 'not used to yet' is the roll top closure. It works great don't get me wrong but I am so used to packs that have a definite top.

Cheers.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have no experience with the Mariposa, but my wife uses my Ohm (version 1.0) all the time and she loves it. She has used it for trips up to 5 days. The carbon hoop works really well.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I've used my Ohm 2.0 on a couple of trips so far, and it generally does a good job of transferring the load to the hips. Once I get get upwards of 26 lbs or so, I start to notice it more on the shoulders, but that is true of basically every lightweight pack I've tried. In addition, I find the ULA hipbelt to be fantastic.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am not female… nor have I had a chance to do a immediate comparison between the mariposa and the ohm. I did have a fair amount of time doing an A/B comparison between the Ohm and the Gorilla (using stays and foam sit pad) which I think carries much like the mariposa. As much as I really wanted to like the Ohm… nice features and very attractive looking, I found the Gorilla much more comfortable than the Ohm.

I pretty regularly take friend backpacking… many of whom don't have equipment yet. I have yet to have any women select either the Ohm or the Gorilla as the pack they want to borrow. It seems that the two packs which most commonly get selected are both out of production: the Mountainsmith Wrath (women's version of the classic MS Ghost), and an Osprey Aether (the original 3.5lb pack) are typically what is preferred.

–Mark

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Most important factor is fit. Proper torso length and hip belt. Tall people can have a short torso and short people a long torso. Gender really doesn't matter.

And this is often the problem with "off the shelf" packs. They only come in 2 or 3 sizes to fit the entire universe.

I have owned 2 ULA packs, one was the Ohm 1.0. It was just too difficult to live out of… just wasn't functional for me. I was much happier with a Mariposa Plus. It carried the weight much better for me. But it wasn't perfect. I finally had a couple custom packs made for me, with torso length exactly matched to my body. Those packs carry like a dream.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like it's not an open and shut case but the responses lean in favor of the Ohm. Apparently the new design has a somewhat adjustable torso length, so hopefully it will dial down to the right length for me.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

best advice is to buy both, try them, return the one you like least.

A pack with a shaped stay, will hold a somewhat back-shaped profile when packed.

A pack without a shaped stay, will take on the shape of what you put in it, and require more care in packing to have a comfortable shape. Or need to be packed very loosely.

I only use my Ohm under 20lbs, and packed very loosely. Above that it is inferior to my circuit in every way.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have the 2012 Mariposa and it carries very well. The transfer is much better than a very comfortable Vapor Trail I had previously. I can walk for hours with the shoulder straps all loosened using only the waste belt. Same goes for the straps and no belt. It's just a joy to carry. It's a bit big for all of my typical 2- and 3-night gear, but will do winter hikes or through hikes no problem. Anyway, I was/am really surprised at how comfortable the light aluminum stay and 27 oz. pack could be. It's impressive. Never tried an Ohm.

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

My wife has the Mariposa and I have the Ohm 2.0. Both new earlier this summer. I've tried hers and she's tried mine and even though we are different torso lengths. I have to say that both are excellent packs. We haven't pushed either beyond 22 lbs but I have to say we are very pleased with both. I don't think you would be unhappy with either. I would agree with previous posts that fit is critical. The right size is no place to compromise. Both manufacturers have been VERY responsive to questions and comments. Both manufacturers have offered excellence in customer service. With either it is win.

Mike H

@mikehaf

Hi

I was recently also in the market for a lightweight pack, with a relatively high demand of max carrying capacity = 30lbs.

I bought the Ohm 2.0, Mariposa 2012 and HMG Porter – with the benchmark of my excellent Granite Gear Blaze (48 oz). With the above packs, the biggest issue stumbled upon was poor weight transfer at the connection point between the frame and hipbelt.

Both the Gossamer Gear and Ohm 2.0 have removable hipbelts using a single velcro attachment point to connect to the pack. The ohm 2.0 includes additional straps which connect the pack to the belt on the side. The HMG Porter uses a sewn in hipbelt and lumbar support pad.

To test these packs, I loaded up each with around 30 lbs of textbooks, which represents the *worst* possible packing scenario I could envision. I found the Mariposa to be the worst of all by a long shot, the belt totally twisted and failed to transfer the majority of the weight to the belt. The Ohm 2.0 fared better, but not by much. The side straps helped, but the pack still sagged at the belt. The Porter was the best by a long shot, considering the burly stays coupled with the sewn in belt. I find the Porter gives performance equal to the Granite Gear Air Current suspension on the Blaze.

In my case, the larger weight demands made the Mariposa and Ohm 2.0 inadequate. I find the Porter to be incredible in terms of rigidity. You might want to also consider the Ohm 1.0, which has a smaller hipbelt, *but* has the belt sewn on and the stays externally attached to the hipbelt, which I would think will give you better load transfer.

Of course everything I've said is moot if you are only planning on carrying a maximum of ~20lbs, for which I would consider any of the mentioned packs sufficient. For what it's worth, I really did like the sitlite pad on the Mariposa.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools